Manual Throttle Question

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Bill Hanlon, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

When I pulled the air cleaner from my newly acquired '52 228 I found this:

[​IMG]

The Manual throttle cable was disconnected from the carb, but had two cable stops installed. I'd like to get the manual throttle working so I can use it to boost the idle speed from the stock 350 RPM to around 600 RPM when idling with the air conditioning on.

My first thought was to clamp A into B and run C through the hole occupied by the cotter pin in D. But the vertical motion of throttle rod E is larger than the amout of bare wire C so I wouldn't be able to get full throttle from the foot feed.

Is there a part missing here?

2. fab51

fab51 Member

Bill-

It sounds like you have a handle on it. You may need to trim some of the outside of the cable, as long as the overall length of the cable will allow it. Make sure the inside wire is straight, and pull it out several inches, past where you need to trim the outside. Trim the casing and push the inner wire back in.

3. Zig

Zig Member

Here's what I have, Bill

Don't know if this will help, but this is how my throttle is rigged up.

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      129.5 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      130.2 KB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      128 KB
      Views:
    • 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      127.3 KB
      Views:
  4. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Thanks Zig. Looks like the 1st thing I need to do is lose one of the cable stops.

5. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Is the inner (movable) part of your throttle cable multi-strand Zig? Mine is one single (not very bendable) piece like an old lawn mower throttle cable. The hole that the cable slides through on the throttle rod goes from about 11 oclock on the top to 5 oclock on the bottom. My single strand cable puts a real load on the throttle rod, causing it to bind, requiring more foot pressure to get the throttle to open and sometimes causing the throttle to not return to idle when released. I tried greasing the cable, but no joy. Possible that carb hardware is incorrect.

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Hand Throttle

Bill ;

You're correct ~ once the cable gets bent from ham fisted DPO/DPM , it tends to hold the throttle ' off idle ' ~ not a happy thing in traffic , that's prolly why it was disconnected .

Just buy a new throttle cable and you'll see why it comes with a very long end .

You can adjuste the bowden in the clamp to get the travel you need , it's not like you'll ever need to pull the knob out much .

Expect to replace it after 35,000 or so miles as the end wears thin .

Zig ; your curved cable ends fairly well scare me.... :eek: .

I hope everyone here understands the hand throttle is NOT a ' Cruise Control ' unless oyu wanta firey , painful death :( .

7. Wolf

Wolf Member

Not sure if this is of any help to ya Bill or not, but here is my set up. It works thats all I know;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Zig

Zig Member

Bill, it is as you say. Like a lawn mower cable.

Nate, glad to scare you! HA!

Trust me, I will make everything better but the engine work that I have left to do is still on the back burner. Back end transplant and all the brake plumbing, then the engine...

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

You GMC guys !

Will take ANY excuse to show off those manly GMC l o n g motors , don'tcha ?? :p .

-Nate

10. Wolf

Wolf Member

Guilty... I may just have to go snap some new ones:) Its been a while:D