Won't start

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Jonnygogo, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Jonnygogo

Jonnygogo Member

Background: I6 292, Weber 38 carb w/electronic choke, Clifford intake/exhaust manifold, Mallory Unilite distributor, carbon spark plug wires, new alternator, all new engine wiring harness, Derale fans off dual thermostats. It started every time in 4-5 revolutions, ran fine with no problems since the mods were done. Then I started it, backed it out w/cold engine and it chuffed once and quit and I have not been able to start it since. Things I have checked: coil, distributor electric eye, spark at the plugs, fuses, battery, fuel pump and fuel pressure at carb, butterfly valves closed on carb when cold. I am thinking it is a fuel problem or a timing problem but ... I am stumped. Toss me some ideas.

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

No Start

Could be a number of things ;

Does it cough or fart & try to start or just go R , R , R, etc. ? .

If it spins but no fire , try removing the dist. cap and watch as you crank it to ensure the rotor is turning , many times for various reasons the dizzy stops turning .

Are the spark plugs wet ? if so , this indicates no spark to them .

If they sooty with fluffy black crud , there's fuel and spark , maybe the timing slipped somehow .

Maybe some bad fuel that won't ignite ? . BT , DT .

I wish I were there .

3. sleepysal

sleepysal Member

Man mine did the same thing last night !!! My 60 has a 250 with clifford /2bbl 350 cfm holley and a pertronix. Yurned out the MSD blaster 2 coil decided to die on me. In pinch I got an Accel super stock coil and fixed it.

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Ignition Woes

Remember to TEST the coil's impedance across the two low voltage terminals EVERY TIME as MSD and other electronic ignition systems are VERY sensitive to this and using the wrong coil will (not can) blow the box sooner than later .

Never trust the coil that comes with the system or the parts guy sells you ~ I see the wrong impedance about 1/3 of the time so I almost never suffer ignition failures like most do sooner or later .

YOU'RE the On Site mechanic , trust NO ONE ELSE ! .
    (escpecially that goober Nate) .

5. Jonnygogo

Jonnygogo Member

It has a relatively new stock coil but I checked output with the electric eye and it has a normal voltage drop (17 to 0 and back to 17). I have spark at the distributor and at the plugs. The plugs are dry and look normal. It caught very briefly (1-2 seconds) the first time I turned it over after months sitting in the yard but nothing since. It turns over easily but not too easily (it has compression). How would the timing suddenly change? The distributor fix bolt is tight and it has not moved. Could it be that corn ethanol fuel that they are selling us as 'enhanced' ... and how would I check that?

Thanks very much for responses and I know it is a PITA to figure this out through a forum. JL

6. sleepysal

sleepysal Member

I woundr if you may have a dirty carb ? That ethonal gas is garbage! Try sqiurting a SMALL amount of starting fluid into the carb and give it a try.

7. Jonnygogo

Jonnygogo Member

Dirty carb

Thanks for the advice. I think my carb has a stuck float or something that is causing it to flood raw gas so I guess I will rebuild ... or at least clean the carb.

8. sleepysal

sleepysal Member

Try pouring a small amount of a product called " Sea Foam " into the carb and let it sit for about 30 mins. Then see if it starts
    Here in California we have the worst gas. I run sea foam in my motorcycle to prevent the carbs from gunning up
    Pour some in your tank to keep the fuel system clean. keep us posted