1978 chevy

Discussion in '1973-1987' started by Fastsled, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Fastsled

Fastsled Member

I just bought a 1978 chevy stepside. 2 wheel drive, 6 cyl, 3 speed on the column. 7270 miles. The problem is there's no vin number? It was donated by General Motors to a school. How do I get a vin? Thanks for any info.

2. Roadhazardguy

Roadhazardguy Member

The vin should be on a stainless plate riveted to the driver side door jam below the striker, if its not there then someone probably removed it. It was also on the two paper tags in the glove box but those often get removed, ive also seen the SPID on under the hood on the passenger inner fender instead of in the glove box. If your lucky it will still have the build sheet under the seat between the springs and foam, if its there you will be able to see it on the passenger side; just stick your head down there and look. You will have to remove the seat to get it out because it is very brittle, pull the springs away from it and gently pull it out.

Did you buy the truck without a title?

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

VIN Location

The VIN is also stamped into the frame on the left upper frame rail near the steering box ~ some years you have to remove the inner fender panel to see it fully .

Some times it's way forward near the frame horn but it's always in the top of the left frame rail forward of the cab .

It's entirely possible your truck never had a VIN but check really closely before assuming this .

I wish I had it ~ those l6 trucks are the very best IMO .

4. Fastsled

Fastsled Member

Thanks for the info. There is a sticker where the vin should be, it says Donated by General Motors Corporation for Educational purposes S-976N-1978 usage of this equipment must be limited to the classroom. There is no other tags anywhere at least where they should be? Yes no title just a bill of sale.

5. Roadhazardguy

Roadhazardguy Member

Hmm, that's neat Ive never heard of anything like that. If you want to get a title for it your best bet is probably to get a bonded title.

Its usually only a partial vin stamped on the frame, and Ive only seen it on the top of the passenger side frame rail behind the rear cab mount.

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Caution

Be aware that GM might get upset if you register it using that ID # .

I'd love to see pictures of the truck , I especially love L6 power and step sides...

7. Fastsled

Fastsled Member

Sorry Nate I don't know how to post pictures here i put them under the photos section. I sent GM an email about the truck and they could or would not give me any info on it. I called the SOS and they could get me a title but I have to have it inspected first.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013