Dana 44 / Eaton HO52 Identification

Discussion in 'Chassis & Suspension' started by DD38, Apr 2, 2013.

1. DD38

DD38 Member

I bought a 1957 Chevy 3100 that was converted to a 4x4 a little while ago and have been having trouble identifying the axles. I have tried to do as much research as possible about this but haven?t been able to find the answers I need. The front axle is a Dana 44 and the rear may be an Eaton HO52. The problem is that I don?t know what vehicle they came from. I found some numbers on the 44 but none appear to be the BOM number and I can?t find much at all on the rear. The front has "44 5F" on the front bottom right of the center section. The only numbers I found on the tubes are two series of numbers. The first is "11 7 3 C" and the second appears to be "N73A32657" but the fifth digit (3) is very hard to see and could be a 5. It measures approximately 65 inches from the outside of the drum to the outside of the drum. The rear appears to be an Eaton HO52 but can?t find anything on it, may be looking in the wrong places. The rear measures approximately 59 inches from the outside of the drum to the outside of the drum. When I bought the truck the guy told me he thought the whole drive train was from a 1963 K20 but was not sure. I am trying to verify what vehicle and year they came from so I can get brakes, tie rod, tie rod ends and whatever else I may need. The transmission is a Muncie SM465and the transfer case is an NP 202 if it matters.

Front
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rear
    [​IMG]

2. joek3167

joek3167 Member

axle is from 1960-68 front dana44 rear eaton ho52 and most parts are still available at napa, quad 4x4.com, brake shoes are 12x2

3. joek3167

joek3167 Member

the transmission where is reverse, to the left and down or to the right and down

4. DD38

DD38 Member

reverse is to the right and down. L is top left then 1, 2, 3, R. I believe it is an SM465 Transmission. Thanks for the info. That narrow it down quite a bit

5. DD38

DD38 Member

Information and measurements obtained so far:

Front
    Danna 44
    Closed Knuckle
    Springs over axle
    passenger side drop
    Low pinion
    65.5 inches WMS-WMS
    Spring perches are almost 2.5 inches wide
    Almost 33 inches from center of spring perch to center of spring perch
    2x12 brakes
    8 lugs
    Wheel studs are 1/2 - 20 threads with a 19/32 (0.594) knurl

Rear
    Eaton HO52
    Approximately 63 inches WMS-WMS (measured with wheels on so this is not exact)
    8 lug
    1/2-20 wheel studs

Hopefully someone can narrow it down even more for me with this information. From what I have found through my research, the front seems to match a front Dana 44 from a 3/4 ton Jeep Truck (1963-1973). The rear seems to be out of a chevrolet. Can anyone verify this as being correct or wrong. I cant find any information about a Chevrolet with a front Dana 44 narrower than about 69 inches.