For those who post

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by esabenski, Apr 14, 2013.

1. esabenski

esabenski Member

This is an open letter all of whom participate on this forum. Even though I'm a member, I don't comment much but I'm a constant reader of the posts. Since I started my project, I have found this forum is as useful as a 9\16 socket on a Chevy truck. A valuable tool for sure! I have found big info on some small bits of conversation. Thank for helping me with my project. This link is my journey. Enjoy.
    http://youtu.be/oU9HM2_cKwM
    or type 1960 chevy movie on you tube
    Steve

2. azbagger

azbagger Member

Very cool indeed! :D

Azbagger

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

??

Only 30 seconds long .

I do what he says he's going to do , on a regular basis ~ it's my idea of a vacation .

I know that particular P-A-P well .

4. esabenski

esabenski Member

Thanks AZBagger. I was lucky to have taken some pictures early.
    Nate, It's 15 min. long but it seems to go quickly.

5. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Awesome Steve. Quite the adventure.

Did ya tear apart the old engine? Sounds like the cam was being eaten alive. ;)

Thanks for the link and for taking the time to let us share in your fun.

John

6. esabenski

esabenski Member

This was the one place I tightened the funds. I ripped the 350 out of a 78 Chevy, changed the seals and gaskets, and tossed it in the truck. I hope I don't regret the junk yard find.
    FYI, Kelly's Auto Salvage in Arlee MT,(15 min north of Missoula)has 2 rows of 60-66 Chevys and is fair priced including those 60-62 hoods. Unfortunately he has been doing some crushing.

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Junkyard Engines

If it runs well and has decent oil pressure , do a compression or leak down test ,

If it's @ 80 % or better , it's a fairly simple thing to replace the cam and lifters ,
    I always use the 3/4 ton cam as it still idles smooth as silk but has plenty of giddyap when you stamp on the throttle .

SBC's are cheap and easy to maintain , few are ever properly tuned so taking the time to make HEI and tweaking , is time well spent and serious $ saved .

8. esabenski

esabenski Member

Nate
    Thanks for the heads up. Since it's going to be an every day driver it really needs to run right. I'll look into it after my month long "BBQ tour" across this great country

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Sbc v-8

Once you've devined if the basic engine is good , don't be in any hurry to swap it out as they're robust and easy to work on , if you don't go crazy with big carby and wild cams , it'll easily get 20 +/- MPG's too as long as you keep your foot out of it .

Best of all is : EVERYONE has the normal repair parts on the shelf , every where you go .

Of course , IMO an I-6 is far better but if you like V-ate power , GO for it ! :D .