Jawbreaker0578's 66 Fleetside Build

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by jawbreaker0578, Apr 18, 2013.

1. jawbreaker0578

jawbreaker0578 Member

This build is a father son project that me and my father have dreamed about since i was younger im still young 22 but either way we could never get anything put together.
    Journey starts with us in september 2012 uncle sam gave my unit a call n i got deployed but thats a different story the truck comes into play round december 2012 i started looking on craigslist for one after all gotta spend u guys tax dollars some where. found a few 50s and 60s then this one came up dude wanted 2000 for it and the dam thing still ran original trans and original 283 just no brakes so being deployed got in touch with my old man sent him to oxford pa and had him look it over he sent me pics i gave the ok and low and behold i got a new truck.
    now bear with me im new to the forum still trying to figure it all out but u guys that post so much on here have helped to give me ideas on what to do with this thing.
    but for now all i have are pics of the truck on our trailer on the way home and sittin in my garage my oldman promised that he wouldn touch it till i got home and im still deployed prolly wont be home for another 4 months or so.
    this is just the beggining i will post detailed pics of every step of the way to try to help anyone like those of u that will help me on my c10s journey.

Attached Files:

2. Rich 5150 69

Rich 5150 69 Member

Welcome to the forum from the left coast, you got a lot to work with, noting that the rust on the dash makes me think that the gutter seal on top of the cab needs to be sand blasted out and primed with a epoxy primer and resealed with some evercoat seam sealer, this will save the cab brow and floor...I would cover the cab until you can start on it. Usuall places for rust, bottm of doors, kick panel at floor, rain gutter, rear cab corners, windshield brow...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FcE3FF3q_w

3. joek3167

joek3167 Member

Looks like a pretty good truck come home safe and sound.

4. jawbreaker0578

jawbreaker0578 Member

yea we noticed that the cab was pretty ruff on this one we did find another one that a friend of ours has that the cab is partially restored and alot nicer so were trying to get that one

5. jawbreaker0578

jawbreaker0578 Member

thank you i cant wait to get outta here and get to work on her

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Another Beginning

Looks like a good beginning ~

When properly tuned (rare) the 283 V-8 was a pretty peppy performer and didn't suck up too much fuel .

The good folks here will be able to answer most any question you can think of so be safe , come home and have at it .

7. jawbreaker0578

jawbreaker0578 Member

Yea we looked into keeping the 283 in it since its all original right now but were prolly gonna go a later 350 with tbi and a 4 or 5 speed not quite sure yet.

thank you very much

8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Engine Choices

Understood .

As much as I prefer them to remain stock , it's your rig so follow your heart .

Just remember : over the next 5 ~10 years you're looking at well over $10,000 PLUS gasoline costs , most Hot Rods wind up getting sold as the V-'s suck up so much $ in fuel costs .

One thing to look at is the fuel injected 350 , they're in all junkyards now ~ I see Corvettes in Pick-A-Part these days as they have little resale value so the entire fuel injected engine and overdrive automatic driveline is barely over $500 including the harness and so on .

Old B Body Chevy cop cars and Impala / Caprice sedans too , also with a good 350 over drive running gear .

Surely not my cuppa tea but I see re powered rigs with this solid drivetrain out there working hard and zooming past my old wheezy L6 daily .

A stock 350 SBC engine is easily dressed up for little $ .