could a 72 cheyenne super camper special have 5 lug?

Discussion in '1967-1972' started by phences, Apr 14, 2013.

1. phences

phences Member

Hi, I'm new to forum, and sorry for the ignorance...

I have a 72 Cheyenne super camper special with the 402/400 and 5 lug. I beleive this to be all original. Some said to me that the front and rear suspension was changed From a 6 lug 3/4 to a 1/2 5 lug. I suspect this person makeing certain assumptions with out all the facts. I think the truck has the 5 lug with a beefer suspension... Thoughs? Help?

Thanks,

Attached Files:

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

I dunno nor care but I like your truck ! .

I assume it still has 16" wheels ? .

3. nerfherder78

nerfherder78 Member

Most half tons are 6 lug. I believe only 90's light duty 3/4 tons were 6 lug, most other 3/4 tons were 8 lug.

They changed to front disc brakes in 1972, and '73 to '87 C10s had 5 lugs. So it seems likely that its original.

4. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

The combination of having 5 lug wheels and a Camper Special would not be as it came from the factory. 8 lug wheels were standard on C20's / Camper Specials.

Not that it's a bad thing now, since most folks prefer the 5 lugs.

Are you planning on using it to haul a camper or heavy loads?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  5. phences

phences Member

Thanks, and sorry I have been away. I don't plan on hauling anything in it. At this point she is just more show than tow.

I am going through a bit of back and forth on what I should do with her though. Part want to keep her and part want to do some tasteful mods. Lower, rims headers intake and carb. Nothing crazy. I may just have to let her go however.

6. Jake1971

Jake1971 Member

According to the info stated on the glove box decal, your truck was originally equipped with 9.50-16.5 tires which was common for a C20 3/4 ton truck with 8 lug rims. Your friends say your truck was converted to five lug at some point which is obvious from the 5 lug Rally rims in the second photo. I am clueless as to where they came up with 6 lug. The 6 lug setup was prevailant up thru 1970 on 1/2 ton trucks. Beginning with year model 1971 GM changed to the 5 lug setup. Btw, nice looking Chevy! :D

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013