Alb-PortA or Bust!

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by morabuffalo, Apr 28, 2013.

1. morabuffalo

morabuffalo Member

Well, were off on a few thousand mile ride...Me, and You and a Dog named Kuna. We figure on making the trip(in another time a one day longgggg trip) in two days, Port A or Padre Island for a while, meander up to Dallas to visit Bro, to Caprock a couple of days, and then Home. It will probably be a three week trip.

Probably a 50 mile an hour trip or less...fun, fun, fun. In 1948 Chevy...virtually original. Pulling a 1963 Cardinal...original.

Was going to ask all kinds of advice, but ran out of time...found out day before we left...primer will not protect on the beach...well, too late now. In New Mexico it would protect for years.

We are off...

So far, slow and nice! A little over heating...fuel-air off....but the worst of all...fuel milage went to pot.....About half of what I got before....from 17 mpg down to 8 or 9 mpg.....!!!!!
    Wow!

First pic....on the road....

Second...on Ferry to Port A

Rod,Deb,Kuna

Attached Files:

2. Zig

Zig Member

I'm LOVING it!!! How cool!!!
    Hey, I know we ALL wish you the best and safe travels! What a way to spend the days!
    You need to post some pictures of the inside of your camper, too, ya know~ ;)
    Enjoy, and thanks for letting us know!

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Road trip !

First & foremost :

Primer never protects anything , not even in N.M. as it holds moisture and promotes rust beneath it while you think everything is O.K. until it's too late.

It sounds like you're off to have mucho fun , wish I was going too :p .

4. jnycnuk

jnycnuk Member

sounds like a fun trip. maybe i'll have to get me a trailer and do some travelin myself. enjoy the ride.

5. ccharr

ccharr Member

Good to see you on the road with it. Enjoy.

6. Zig

Zig Member

I'm going to build a tear drop camper to pull behind mine. Can't wait, but as I've learned, yes~ I have to. :(

7. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I have a whole disc of camper plans, teardrops, canned hams, all sorts. I can send you some blueprints.

8. Zig

Zig Member

Thanks, Russ. I'm kinda hooked on the teardrop style. We went to an RV joint a few weeks back and of course I got loaded down with what I could incorporate into a teardrop camper.

9. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Have a nice road trip.

Rod and fam.

Wish you a nice trip.What route are you driving ?

Martinius.

10. morabuffalo

morabuffalo Member

Alb-PortA or Bust! Update

Hi All. We made it!!! Lots of pics taken by others...and lots of rust popping up everywhere! Man, am I going to have work when I get back!

Sandfest here...international event...Lots of rain last night...all night. Shhow went on.

A couple of pics

Rod, Deb, kuna

Attached Files:

11. ccharr

ccharr Member

Glad to hear you all made it okay. Enjoy.

12. Elky67

Elky67 Member

Great pics,

but is it just me, or are you missing some lug nuts on your right rear wheel??
    It looks like it.:eek::eek:

13. Zig

Zig Member

I love the graphics on your truck. Glad you made it this far. Here's hoping the weather cooperates for you!

14. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Nice Pix !

Thank you for sharing them .

15. morabuffalo

morabuffalo Member

To be continued...

To be continued....You are probably saying, "oh,oh." Yes, the Bust part of the title happened, but let's catch up on the story before I get to that. We made it to the Sandfest, beach, and no sun.

It was cold and wet this year. Rained super hard two nights...flattened every tent on the beach twice, but we sat pretty...48 and 63 trailer! My wife is not going back to the tent life!

While on that part of the beach we ended being a one vehicle and trailer...truck show. Tons of pictures taken by all sorts of people. I ended up being able to see the rust expanding and growing while I stared at my truck. Was not running...idle...too well, but ok enough to not bother with it....used choke instead!

Oh...a lug nut is not missing. I just took off the locks and replaced with plain Jane...so it looks like one is missing on all rims. Why? I don't know...I just did.

Anyway, moved to National Seashore for a few days. Nice, but kinda scary...I could really get that truck stuck fast pulling that trailer...and rain threatening all the time we were there. Lots of fun...we loved it there. Had to hike up some sand dunes about a half mile away for the wife to get out on the cell phone...we were down to one cell, because she got hers wash in the surf.

Sending a couple of pics...There was a John Lennon, Imagine presentation at the Sandfest! Of course, loved it! As you know, I consider that one of the all time...the all time great songs. I have it on the back of my truck.

I will update more later.

Rod

Attached Files:

16. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Thank you !

For the sory , pictures and for keeping this ' Imagine ' idea alive ~ it's a simple concept and I still belive in it too .

Did you make that sand sculpture ! it's very good .

I don't want my truck anywhere near the Ocean , ever ! :eek: .

17. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smo
    Nothing like a good Road trip to get your head in the right place. Hope you met all sorts of nice Folks. I just got back from Italy after three weeks....Its a wonderful world! Amore! Wish I would have had my 47' there. Picture Provence and Tuscany in a 47' Chevy. Glad no major incidents for you.

18. morabuffalo

morabuffalo Member

To be Continued...

Well, the story is not finished...a major incident is coming up.

Anyway, there we are sitting on the isolated beach of the National Seashore...wife running up this sand dune to get out by cell phone...when two events trigger us to move...the first was that Denver snow storm was headed our way and I was sitting a few feet from an ocean and it was supposed to turn bad....and second my brother tells me he is going to be out of the country for work the following weekend which we planned to go to Dallas. So, we leave.

We fought the winds all the way down and now, we were going to fight the stronger winds all the way up. Oh, well.

Oh, Nate, no I did not make that...that was the Sandfest and international competitors do those...my sand castles never advanced further than first grade! But these are super art pieces that they create and only last for a couple of days. That picture was taken the day after...24 hours before there were thousands and thousands of people there...a few hours later the art pieces were destroyed...leveled.

We made it to San Antonio (I have never liked driving through there...I have suggested to people from there...a huge bomb for the road system to clean it up...oh, can I say that?) Once I found my self at the end of a construction piece about 4 stories high in the middle of the night...Just one big fall...scared me to death...but I am still here.

Halfway through SA, Highway is closed...a ten mile back up...I had a bad feeling...and it proved right...there were 4 lanes of traffic...six inches of shoulder and I started to.....oh, oh. The perfect storm...several things happened....the main was that the head got fried...of course I did not know the extent at the time...one guy to offered to help, but what could he do? He said the next exit(that everybody else was trying to get) was 3-5 miles ahead. I kept trudging.

Long story short...my brother came and hauled trailer to Dallas. My truck was left by a shed for about $40 dollars a night. I was sad on several different levels...I have had it for 40 years!

Made it to Dallas...visited for a couple of days...tired, but catching up on rest.

More later, rod

Attached Files:

• 016.JPG
      016.JPG
      File size:
      258.7 KB
      Views:
  19. Zig

Zig Member

Sorry to hear that, but I'm just glad you're all okay. Back in the day there were these businesses called "service stations" everywhere. They could fix you up PDQ.
    These old rigs is why service stations existed, I think.
    Thanks for the update, and beside the outcome, you have some memories, and those are priceless, right?

20. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

John lennon & Yoko Ono

That John Lennon sand sculpture is beautifull.Wish you guys a nice trip along the coast. Sorry to hear you stranded in Dallas. Hope you and the truck came safely back home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRhq-yO1KN8

Martinius.

Last edited: May 19, 2013