Discussion in '1947-1954' started by SWVA_50GMC, May 13, 2013.

1. SWVA_50GMC

SWVA_50GMC Member

I just wanted to type up a quick hello message to the followers of this forum. My wife and I have recently acquired a 1950 GMC pick up, given to us by her grandparents. It has been converted to a tow truck and has had a lot of conversions and parts changed out as time went on. He owned it from the early 70's until now. But long story short, I wanted to join a forum to help with the research and shared knowledge a forum has to offer.

2. jnycnuk

jnycnuk Member

welcome aboard. any photos?

3. ccharr

ccharr Member

Welcome aboard enjoy the ride while here.

4. SWVA_50GMC

SWVA_50GMC Member

I will get some and post when I get a chance. It will take some time and work to get the truck to the house. It is still at the in-laws house and is not in drivable condition.

I am mostly interested in body parts and possibly a cab. We are wanting to keep it as close to his creation as we can but make it look good again. It has a home made boom and winch setup, Mid 80 Chevy 1 ton rear axle and mid 70's 350. It is a bit of a Frankenstein but it is a sentimental thing for the wife.

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Welcome , newbie !

No worries , you've found the right place to ask all those odd questions that WILL crop up ,you have a basic old Farm/Work truck , the good folks here will collectively have any answer you need .

Decent cabs are out there , if you put your location in your info , you'll be surprised at how close one may pop up .

If you're out in the boonies , the BIG truck cabs are the same as your pickup , some differences between GMC and Chevrolet but nothing insurmountable .

Make it run , fix the brakes & slap some new , matching rubber on it to begin , then you can fix it as you go , keeping it driveable is the key to keeping the interest up .

6. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Welcome aboard GMC truck owner!

Just wanted to wish you welcome! It would be nice with some photos of your truck to watch .

Greatings from Norway Martinius

7. SWVA_50GMC

SWVA_50GMC Member

Thanks for all of the welcomes. I am in the Southwest Corner of VA (down next to KY and TN), so I am a bit in the boonies. Mostly I have taken on motorcycle projects but this is not my first vehicle "project" but is by far the one starting from the least. So I may be asking a lot of "newb" questions. Just giving you fair warning.

8. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Welcome!

Looking forward to some photos...

9. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

Welcome to the forums! Sounds like a great project, looking forward to seeing photos and following your progress.

Don't shy away from asking questions. That's precisely how I have learned everything about my project so far. There are many good folks here who are very knowledgeable and more than willing to lend advice.

Damon

10. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

Welcome

Welcome great amounts of help here again welcome.

11. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Welcome! It's always nice to have SWMBO on your side when starting a project! Can't wait to see pics!

12. Zig

Zig Member

WELCOME!
    And it's always nice to have yet another GMC owner on board! ;)

13. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

Possible parts nearby

Hey SWVA,
    I am in NETN and have leftover parts for a 47-53 Chevy. I know Zig will puke if he thinks of Chevy parts on a G but if you need anything I have you are welcome to it.
    I am in Fall Branch and travel to Big Stone often.
    Gater

14. ccharr

ccharr Member

Good to see ya here Bill, hope all is going well. See you obtained a new project how is it coming along.

Charles

15. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

Hi Charles,
    Good to be back. I have a 79 C10 that sat for 10 years so I am doing the usual tank cleaning, piston unsticking, oil changing, carburetor kitting, brake reworking, etc., to get it back on the road. My son Will graduated from high school this past Thursday so that took some time away from the project but I am back at it.
    I don't know if I told you all but the '48 went to Texas for about 2 days then a guy from Canada loaded it up and took to back to the north land. That is why I offered SWVA my parts. (that and the fact that he can't live too far away from me if he is in southwest Virginia.
    I hope things are going well with you.
    Bill

16. ccharr

ccharr Member

Good t hear from you Bill, we shall some photos of it being loaded or unloaded and the guy needing a new bumper.
    The truck is still running pretty good I have to keep it or my 93 F250 at the property in Az. or the/some neighbors call code enforcement on me for parking on side of the garage.

17. SWVA_50GMC

SWVA_50GMC Member

Tailgater,
    Thanks for the offer. No I am not that far from you at all. I lived in Big Stone Gap for a short stint. I am about 2 hours from Fall Branch. I will probably be in touch soon. I still have not got the truck to my house yet, still working on getting a place to put it.

18. SWVA_50GMC

SWVA_50GMC Member

I know it has been a few months but we finally got around to getting the truck. Here is a pic.

[​IMG]

19. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Nice Rig !

Does it still have the GMC l o n g motor ? .

(envoius Chevrolet owners want to know)

20. SWVA_50GMC

SWVA_50GMC Member

Unfortunately it has been swapped over to 12v and had a 350 dropped in it. I would love it if it still had the original motor in it, but hey it was his the life of his business and we all know 350 chevy parts are a dime a dozen.