What should I use for a gas tank?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Bill Hanlon, May 22, 2013.

1. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

'52 GMC 150 with a flat bed. I'm 6'5" and would like more leg room. I'm shopping for a replacement seat and have tried out a fellow old trucker's 54 Chevy with a 2003 Chevy Astro Van 2nd row seat mounted to the original adjusters with two custom brackets. This arrangement yields 2.5" additional room between the firewall and the seat back as well as 2" more room between the seat and the roof. But the gas tank needs to leave the cab to have this additional space.

I'd like to mount the new tank under the front edge of the bed on the passenger's side

One option would involve a tank with max dimensions of 18" front to rear, 12" left to right and 17" deep. Max of about 16 gallons.

Another option would have max tank measurements of 26" front to rear, 27" left to right and 11" deep. This arrangement would need a heat shield near the muffler. Max of about 33 gallons.

The third option would have max tank measurements of 26" front to rear, 19" left to right and 11" deep. Max of about 23 gallons.

All of these would be simple rectangular tanks. I'd run the filler out the right side and leave it under the edge of the bed.

I've looked at Tanks, Inc. without much luck so far.

Any of you have experience in this field?

2. ccharr

ccharr Member

3. 52wasp

52wasp Member

Bill,
    Try an S10 tank (part number GM16D).

4. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Charles: What mounting hardware is needed and where does it attach to the truck when using the 47/48 tank?

5. ccharr

ccharr Member

Bill,

The hardware bolts to the frame and has steel straps that go around it & tighten up on it.
    Joe should have the hardware for the 47/48 models, he may even have a good tank also. Give him a PM to see.
    I'll post the frame I'm redoing to put the extra tank on mine.

Attached Files:

6. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Thanks for the pictures Charles. I assume that the bracket in your picture would be mounted to the truck with just one bolt at the top of the "step" area of the bracket. Correct? If so, where does the bracket attach to the truck? Approximately what is the dimensions top to bottom and side to side of the bracket?

Bill

7. ccharr

ccharr Member

One bolt, yes. It connects to the inside of the frame. close to the E-Brake gizmo's for those yr. trucks. See photo attached below. The measurements for the bracket are 3.5 in. top at frame, next hump is aprox 7 in. then to the top angles up is 8.5 in. where the unit bolts the strap together, next hump area is aprox 11.5 in.from the 8.5 in level to the outside strap is aprox. 13 in. hope this helps, I do not have the truck here or I would take more photos for you.

Charles

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  8. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smo
    The 47-48' pick-up tank mounts there and also the same or similar tanks were used on the panel trucks for some years later as they didn't have space behind the seats. It opens up your search options a bit.

9. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

Love this thread. I'm planning on putting my tank where Bill wants to as well. Always looking for options. Thanks for posting the question, Bill!! I hope you find what you're looking for.

Damon

10. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

'48 tank

Bill,
    I think Jim Carter has started selling the replacement support hardware.

Attached Files:

11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Fuel Tank

Ahead of the rear axle for safety's sake ~ dying in a blazing fire sux .

As Gasoline isn't .25 CENTS anymore , I'd be wanting to try and mount the filler neck on the driver's side , if not the whole tank .

I highly concur with the suggestion you buy a good used '47 or Panel Truck tank & hardware from Joe and have Gas Tank Renew U.S.A. do their thing to it before installation .

Even if you buy a brandy new tank , do this as new tanks are made of tin foil and have pinch weld leaks 50 % of the time right out of the box .

I see Charles cleverly showed off his vintage equipments in the first set of photos :rolleyes: .

The electric fuel pump frame mounted close as possible to the tank is smart too .

Did I mention how , when you're in a fire , you don't actually burn to death , rather , the flames burn you so badly you open your mouth to scream and inhale the 2,000? F flames and fumes , this dissolves the bronchial tubes in your lungs so you suffocate , feeling the flames roasting your body at the same time , as you can't get any air in you can't scream and so on .

Add to this the need for a closed casket in every case and the Gas Tank Renew U.S.A. deal becomes a whole lot more palatable .

SAFETY KNOWS NO SEASON ! .