I Don't Know What To Do

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by graham, May 23, 2013.

1. graham

graham Member

I really don't know what to do now. I had the motor rebuilt 6 months ago and after running it the oil pressure went to 0. So I pulled it out to get it rebuilt again 6 months later I just put it in and started it the oil pressure only went up to 20 then after 20-30 min of running it went to 0. I like the truck and like to keep the original motor but the problems I'm having now I'm to the point of getting rid of every thing. Dose any one know what I can do?

2. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smo
    Sounds like the shop should be helping you. What failed six months ago?

3. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Man, that sucks. I sometimes question my sanity, picking this as my hobby, but I keep coming back. :confused:

Do you have a mechanical oil pressure gauge or electrical? Might be worth buying a new mechanical gauge, just to be sure the gauge isn't the problem?

4. graham

graham Member

The first time I think it was the oil pump when I first started it had 30 LB of pressure drove it for about 100 miles then it started to knock and lost oil pressure so they rebuilt it this time. They said all the bearing were wiped out. When I started yesterday the oil pressure was around 20 then dropped from there. I do have a mechanical oil pressure gauge and electrical the electrical is in the truck and the other is on the oil filter.

5. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Engine !

Hey there Graham

If you had a shop to rebuild the engine i would return to the shop and have them take a look at it again. Immediate oil drop is caused by leaks or an oil pump/oil pipes that are disfunctioning. I would check the oil pressure instrument and block connector as well. Did the shop cleaned out the block`s oil transport drainpipes as it could be closed with thick oil sludge ?

Good luck Martinius.

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  6. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

" the other is on the oil filter."

Unless the engine has been modified for full flow filtering an oil pressure gauge "on the filter" will be reading very low if any pressure.

7. graham

graham Member

The block was cleaned and all the oil passages were checked. They told me to change the oil pump and see if that might fix it.

8. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

The oil pump would be first suspect.

Is the distributor properly seated in the block to run the oil pump in the first place ?

Have you tested the oil gauge itself to make sure it is working properly ?

Have you tested the oil supply line to the gauge to make sure it is not blocked with crud ?

9. graham

graham Member

I pulled the oil pan and found that some of the rods I could move up and down by hand so I took off a cap and found a bearing had scratch marks and where the to bearing meet together there was some brass starting to show. So now I started to pull the motor back out again and will drop it off at the shop again they said it should not take them that long to fix it this time.

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Engine Failure

At this point , if it's not *perfect* when you get it back , I'd ask for a full refund of every $ you've spent so far as they're clearly the ones at fault here ~ these engines are dead simple and very hard to kill .

If it fails one more time , don't wa$te any more $ on it , begin looking for a take out as they're cheap and plentiful .

As Joe mentioned , unless the distributor is fully seated , the oil pump can disengage and cause loss of oil pressure while the engine still seems to run fine .

11. graham

graham Member

I called the machine shop yesterday they said the guy that built the motor had to 2 crank shafts for my motor. The main bearings were the same but the rods were different. So when he did the first crank he did not like the way it felt so he put the other crank it and did notice the rod bearings were different. So they ordered another set for bearings for it they said it not hurt crank and it should be good this time.

12. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Engine remanufacture!

Graham

Wich means they have to pull the engine out again to get it properly done.If posseble have them to test the engine/oil pressure tested before it comes back in your frame. If these rod bearings/shims are to tight/sloppy things have there impact on the rest of that engine , spesific torque pressure is crucial here!

Hopefully it works better this time , good luck Martinius.

13. graham

graham Member

The one good thing is pulling and setting the motor don't take to much time to do it. It took about 2 hours to pull it out and about 4 hours to set it in and hook ever thing up. I like to working on vehicles on my time off to keep me busy and the challenge of fixing them.

14. ccharr

ccharr Member

Good to see you still after getting your truck fixed correctly. Keep up the good work.

15. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

Graham,
    With all the in and out what are some tips for easy removal and replacement of the engine? Did you pull the radiator? Hood? Grill? Curious minds want to learn ;>)

16. graham

graham Member

I pulled the hood the raditor,transmission but left the bell housing on and pulled ever thing off the motor. I have pulled the motor 3 times in the past year but I think this is one of the easiest motor I have done compared to some of the newer motor.

17. graham

graham Member

I got the motor back from the shop put it in and started it up so far it's doing good. I ran it for a almost 2 hours and the oil pressure looks good so far. So buy next week I should be driving it after I get the transmission put in and tag for it again.

18. ccharr

ccharr Member

That is great to hear Graham, glad things are looking up.

Charles

19. Zig

Zig Member

Glad to hear it, Graham! I hope you can start enjoying your truck now!

20. markcp

markcp Member

Best of luck to you. Hope you have all the gremlins chased away and you can enjoy your truck now.