Dual Master Cylinder plumbing

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by coralhead, May 23, 2013.

1. coralhead

coralhead Member

I am installing a new dual master cylinder from Classic. After mounting the cylinder, does it matter which port goes to front or rear brake lines. Something is telling me that the forward most port goes to the rear brakes since the cylinder is mounted push rod forward. Any thoughts?
    '50 3600.
    Thanks

2. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

If you are running front disc brakes and rear drum brakes then you need to use the larger reservoir for the discs, if in fact your master has a larger reservoir, which usually is in the front. If you are running 4 wheel drum brakes it doesn't matter.

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  3. coralhead

coralhead Member

I am running drums all around. Both reservoirs appear the same, pretty big

4. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Most systems run the back reservoir (closest to firewall) to the front brakes. But in reality it doesn't matter since both reservoirs are the same.

Attached Files:

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Dual M/C Plumbing

Actually ;

You'll notice by the pictogram that the smaller resivoir is always the disc one .

6. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

On a drum - disc dual master cylinder the bigger reservoir feeds the disc. I've posted up a larger photo below Note the diagram states "drum" for the small reservoir and "caliper" for the large reservoir.

Drums have small slave cylinders, discs have large pistons, that's the reasoning behind the small vs. large.

Not that any of this matters to coralhead, as he is doing a drum - drum set up. But it might help somebody surfing this thread in the future.

Ever heard of drilling drums? Check this out: http://www.chtopping.com/CustomRod4/

and finally a link to CH Toppings website, more good braking articles there: http://www.chtopping.com/Home/index.html

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  7. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Great Post !

Thanks for sharing lakeroadster.This post is very intresting. It does`nt say on what distance the holes pattern should be bored and what bore size to use ?

Martinius.

8. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Email chtop@earthlink.net, I am sure he would tell ya. Then you could pass the info on to us.

9. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Lakeroadster. I texted him an e.mail today. Thank you.

Sir

Classic chevy and GMC truck owners have been reading your thread with most intrest and the guys wonder what bore pattern you use and bore size ? What are your experiences after using this solution ?
    If it is ok with you i would like to publish your answer at the classic chevy forum. https://talk.classicparts.com/showthread.php?p=92641#post92641

Sinc. Martinius Berg

Last edited: May 26, 2013