Tool to take out tailight housing

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by ZZTom, Apr 29, 2006.

1. ZZTom

ZZTom Member

Hello Everyone! Its been awhile since I've been here. I had to re- register for some reason? I'm looking for a tool that takes out the screw that holds in the taillight housings on my 1960 Chevy truck. Does anyone know what that tool is called? and/or can tell me where to get one? It has a rectangle shape to the screw head, there is more of these screws elsewhere on the truck too I think?
    Thanks guys!
    ZZTom

http://iserver.chevyduty.com/dcforum/User_files/4453e8930a2870fd.html

Attachments:
    https://talk.classicparts.com/images/attachments/4453e8930a2870fd.html

2. jgrh64

jgrh64 Member

RE: Tool to take out tailight housi

are you sure it's not a sq. drive these can be found at home depot or good hardware store - if the edges are a little rounded then it's a cam drive , try a place that carries mobile home supplies -these used to be popular in the sixties and seventies

3. ZZTom

ZZTom Member

The edges are just slightly rounded. But rectangle shape. There is also asome of these screws in the doors. I will search the term "cam drive" and see if that helps me. Thanks! ZZTom

4. coilover

coilover Member

I don't know about chev pickups in the 60's but the earlier trucks used clutch head screws in many places. Your host, CD(now CP I guess) offers a set of clutchhead screwdrivers for around $15.

5. ZZTom

ZZTom Member

I'll check it out, Thanks! ZZTom

6. Ebon Hawk

Ebon Hawk Member

While I have never seen these types of screws as OE (Original Equipment for the layman) I have seen them put in by people as a "quick fix" replacement. My '64 LWB I used to have had those installed in a lot of various (and often inconvenient) places, seemingly at random. My current '63 SWB only had them in the centercaps of the K-5 rims that came with it when I bought the thing.

My recommendation would be to try using an allen wrench to remove one (it may take some work, but it can be done) and take it down to any hardware or home improvement store. They should be able to point you in the right direction for removing the rest.

One more thing I'd recommend, replace those blasted things with regular screws. Nothing's worse than having to make an "on the fly" repair in the field, and finding that your *specialty* screwdriver is still in your toolbox in the garage. Trust me on this one.

Good luck with your truck!