Weekend trip to Payson

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by ccharr, May 27, 2013.

1. ccharr

ccharr Member

Just finished the chores from this weekend travels, before I could sit ad read anything I had to unload the Chevy get the engine and parts tucked in a corner of the garage.
    Really was a great drive up to Payson to visit Allen and get the engine and parts, Allen is really a great Guy and Payson is really a great place.
    Truck ran good all the way up and back we had wanted to leave yesterday to come back here but the truck ate the fan belt (did not have the extra because I did not replace it the last time it ate one) and that started some fun which cause us to leave today, some parts house employees do not understand anything outside 2000 yr make car and newer. I had to except a new type belt that just screammmmmmed the whole way back here all 350 miles. What this belt busting opened up is the alternator pulley was not lined up with the rest of the pulleys.
    So we make it back unload the trucks and enjoy what little time is left of the week end.
    The photos are the truck at the property the morning we left, gassing up as we got into Payson, at Allen?s home once we got the engine and parts in the truck, catching some eats @ Sonic in Payson, back at the property, the truck here at the house backed up ready to un-load the food stuffs, then finished backed up to the garage.

Attached Files:

2. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Trip to Payson.

Thanks Charles for sharing your weekend story. Do you have some newer truck or tractor projects coming up ? Glad you made it safe back home again. How is it living in a home trailer out there in the dessert , do you like it much ? We have so much extreme weather here so i cant do nothing with my ride. Roads are closed , bridges are damaged and tunnels closed down.

Estimated damages are a kvarter billion dollar in my county!:eek:

http://www.nrk.no/video/faren_er_over/0BE7602919C1984D/emne/flom/3/

Martinius.

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  3. ccharr

ccharr Member

Martinius,

Living in those RV's has it moments, while it is suitable it is cramped for us, and as long as the air conditioner keeps up with the heat outside. No new projects right now for the tractors I am going to do some things to the Chevy for the Brothers truck show if I have the time. I never have dialed in the speedometer or bought a gps for it. Virginia said that most of the time I was running 70 and 75 mph and that the times she was staying way back was when she had the CHP behind her. I'm going to buy the gps system so I can stop guessing the speed I'm going and slow down and enjoy the rides more. We had the F250 there to get the motor and parts leave it there and was going to high tail it back here in the Chevy but because of the alternator belt issue so she followed in the F-250 so we could pull it back within 100 miles if need be for AAA to come get it. So any way I figured I was doing good time we made it back quicker than what I figured. I also brought back the other set of tires for the Chevy that I want to put on it again and maybe add another set of rails to the bed.
    Thanks for the link, Hope they get the roads and highways fixed back there so you can enjoy that truck of yours more. Bad road are nasty to any vehicle no matter when there were made.

Charles

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  4. AZ58Cameo

AZ58Cameo Member

Hey Charles, Really Glad that you and Virginia Made it back safe!
    Glad to have met you, and wish you the best! Really happy that the motor will go to good
    use in one of your Projects.
    Take Care,
    Allen

5. ccharr

ccharr Member

Thanks Allen, was a great day, the truck liked the load we gave it, she rode way better loaded than it does un. That was a lot of parts which went with the deal, I had one little spot to put it all just had to move the shovels and rakes into the shed out back. I really liked the trip up and back was able to see some of Az. I wasn't aware of. Thanks again Allen,

Charles

6. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smo
    Charles, You have the best attitude for weekend adventures, seems little irritants like fan belts go with the territory and you take it all in stride.

7. ccharr

ccharr Member

Thanks, there are some outbreaks along the way, just ask Virginia :cool:.

I was mad at the parts house after coming back to exchange the belts I took the first time, they were to long, the trip to a parts house was 41 miles one way. And the parts person was trying to tell me the belt I took were for a Toyota Celica, and not for a stock what ever I had, the first guy was off work, the other person in the store just kept saying working on old stuff is fun, and he was right. I did have one nasty headache from the belts noise all the way home .
    Thanks,
    Charles

8. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

road trip

charles are you running duel carbs or a single.if so do you notice a difference?

9. ccharr

ccharr Member

Robert the single carter on the original engines manifold for right now.
    Also still have the 2 barrel carb and set-up, and the 216 Edelbrock manifold w/h duel Carters.
    Someday maybe, but doing 70 and 75mph on the freeway is doing well without the duels for now.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  10. Wolf

Wolf Member

Very nice pictures! Glad to see you out and driving that beautiful 1 ton;)

11. ccharr

ccharr Member

Thanks Brain, everyday out in that truck is a good day for me. The pictures are fun to take both Virginia and i have our own camera and that is a good thing.

12. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Carter Weber carb

Good morning AZ

The dual setup you have looks good. I wonder if that Carter Weber of yours works well? I bought a Carter Weber dual setup from Tom Langdon last year wich i am gonna mount this summer.

Thank you Martinius.

13. ccharr

ccharr Member

Martinius,
    That carb has been on the truck twice and both times things did not go well I
    may try it again soon. Last time I was on Tom Langdon's web site he stopped selling that carb, say he could not get anymore.

Charles

14. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

A Grand Day Out

Looks like a nice trip Charles .

75 MPH ?! my mind boggles ~ I'd prolly toss a rod through the side of my block .

BT , DT with the fan belts , those guys can be maddening :mad: .

I see you scored a closed drive Saginaw Side Loader ~ good deal ! .

Pop the cover off and see how the slider & cluster gears look .

Can't you find an inexpen$ive Double Wide and pour a slab , make a shade cover to get more room ? .

Matinus , Desert life is very good indeed , you can go really crazy with topiary and never any leaves to rake up :D .

The heat can get you if you're not careful though ~ lotta Retirees go there and die suddenly .

15. ccharr

ccharr Member

Nate,

That truck has been doing that ever since I put in the 342/1, it just amazes people because they think it has a V8 in it. Drove it to work today and it was nice not having it scream at the upper rpms. Still can not figure why that 7/8's pulley was on her.
    I'll have to check the trans sometime later they are now in a corner with stuff around them. We have been looking for something bigger out there but $$ get in the way between what I need and what She needs so the 5th wheel works for now.:D

Charles

16. Zig

Zig Member

Zoom-zoom~ Hey Charles, drum brakes up front, right? The 7/8ths pulley is only for manly trucks, that's probably why yours was squealing? :)
    Thanks for the photos! Nice to see these trucks being used! (Even better, for work!)

17. ccharr

ccharr Member

How much longer do you figure before your ride will be out there?

18. Zig

Zig Member

Best case would be this fall. (Without a bed, but who the hell cares at this point~)
    I am more thinking by next summer's end, next year. (Again, without the bed, but who the hell cares~)
    I might get to liking Bill's flatbed and turn mine into one, also...

19. ccharr

ccharr Member

You'll get there sooner than you think. Where is the bed??

20. Zig

Zig Member

The only things that were salvageable were the two bed sides. They are hanging on the wall of my garage. Tom's Truck Parts in Miami, Oklahoma has everything that I need, as long as they haven't had a tornado blow through~
    I might have to get my sketch book and draw some designs for a flatbed...