water pump pulley

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by ccharr, May 29, 2013.

1. ccharr

ccharr Member

Today after looking for a pulley I found the 53&54 engines had pressed on pulleys so I had to buy a new water pump with the correct pulley on it. My truck’s current pump has a 7/8" belt pulley on it which from the truck shop’s order book pg.65 belongs on a “G”a 49-55GMC, 6-cyl. 248 or 56-59 GMC, 6-cyl. 270 7/8" groove pulley, go figure? Not sure if the G engines water pump are inter-changeable. So here is a photo or two of the water pump pulley on the truck and a photo or two of the new pump and pulley. I’m still wondering why the wide pulley on the 235 engine water pump?

http://htmlimg2.scribdassets.com/80mdixml1c1tcc7i/images/73-f6d3e0f3e5.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  2. ccharr

ccharr Member

Update; Took a little time off from work today just to fix the truck, what a difference the new pump and pulley make No screech what so ever. Wish I had remembered to ask the rebuilder at the check ups for the engine at 400 and 1000 miles. Still not sure why they put on that wide assed pulley or of the GMC pumps is inter-changeable or not.
    Now for the exhaust leak getting fixed, should go ahead and put that the 235 manifold and that 2 Barrel set-up on and see if it runs better.

Attached Files:

3. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Pulley

Charles `
    It looks very much like a 216 CU chevy pulley wich must be innerchargeble! What numbers are stamped on the pump ? Does the balancer have the same with 7/8 ?

Martinius.

4. ccharr

ccharr Member

Martinius,

The old pump has on it C-37 and then on the side of it it has Z625, the new on is on the truck and came over here on the china clipper. Will have to wait and see just how long it lasts. @ http://www.scribd.com/fullscreen/106275398?access_key=key-25nhdrsz2gz3h8aoa7qx , page 65 it shows this pump for the 53-54 yr. engine and that is what I bought. Above it shows the G's and the fact they have the 7/8" pulley:confused:. Maybe the engine builder mixed an order

5. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Pulley

Charles

I`d checked the GMC pump number and pulley todaywich seams not to be a GMC pump but a chevy pump 216 CU.
    Did you Measured the harmonic balancer pulley with ?

Martinius.

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  6. Flashlight

Flashlight Member

Greeneville, Tennessee....Looking out over the Smo
    At least you got the right pump. I bought one of Ebay for the smaller pulley and found out mine needed the large belt. I'm a little skeptical about pulling the pulley off, so now I have another extra part.

7. ccharr

ccharr Member

I believe you are correct about the 216, the belts which I bought and drove home on is on the truck now and working okay with the small pulley water pump.
    The other pulley which was out of line was the alternator someone did not install correctly.

Charles

8. ccharr

ccharr Member

Did you get a water pump with the correct pulley, if not do you want the pump I have with the wide pulley on it? PM me if you do.

Charles