My 1949 3600 Chevy

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Makin' Memories, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Coach529

Coach529 Member

4-1/2 grinder with a skinny wheel
    misc drill bits
    small hole saw
    couple allen wrenches, wrenches and a screw driver.

Couple hour job.

2. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Very easy to do with bASIC TOOLS.

3. Makin' Memories

Makin' Memories Member

In a pickle..

I'm trying to get the old door latches out and am having trouble taking them out.

Do I have to completely dis-assemble the entire door, window and window track?

I tried to take apart the whole door but the glass doesn't want to come out, and the door latch is hitting the window track but I can't get that out either.. Any suggestions?

4. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Raise the window, take the 2 small screwsin the lower door sill to loosen the window track. Pull it out of the way and rotate the latch out.

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Door Latches = SAFETY !!

Joe , AKA Mothertrucker , has N.O.S. American Made door latches ~ supposedly there is one Chinese manufacturer who makes decent latches but I've never seen them yet .

A story :

I was happily driving my 1949 Chevrolet 3100 series pickup truck home one fine day , I'd take the original latches out and cleaned and de rusted them before re greasing with the correct white lithium grease so the worked *perfectly* , loked easily with the key , required no slamming etcetera and I turned left in a busy intersection and looked on in horror as the passenger side door popped open and scattered my lunch box , tool bag and other things all over the intersection :eek: .

I pulled over to the curb and collected my things , shaking like a leaf because I often drive my sweet lady in the truck and if the door had opened while she was riding.... :eek: she would have DIED .

That's when I bought two N.O.S. door latches from Joe , this was just an old work truck yes but I didn't want to be responsible for KILLING ANYONE ! .

As they say : Y.M.M.V. ~ I've been servicing rusty old door latches for decades and never had one fail before .

Russ' trique is O.K. but not for the average DIY'er IMO .

By the way ~ after you've wrestled those window channel run screws out , you have to lift it 1/2" or so as it's hooked in at the top , once it's 1/2" up you should be able to twist / wriggle it out easily .

6. Makin' Memories

Makin' Memories Member

Frustration..

So I finally have a better internet connection now to post things... But the real issue is still trying to wrestle out that window track. I will post a picture later to illustrate if I am doing it right or not.

7. Makin' Memories

Makin' Memories Member

Are the two screws under the window jam that screw from the window track to the metal door the ones that I have to loosen so I can wiggle the door latch outta there?

Attached Files:

8. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

They are midway down the door jamb below the latch.
    [​IMG]
    The 2 nearly vertical screws midway down the jamb...

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  9. Makin' Memories

Makin' Memories Member

Thanks for the clarification!