More pictures...

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Zig, Aug 2, 2008.

1. sweet50

sweet50 Member

That will look awesome. We have family in Kansas so my wife roots for the Chiefs when they play.

2. a5llx

a5llx Member

looks cool to me pal , once its colour sanded you wont see any runs or orange peel so dont stres out , i learnt to paint this year and i get better every time i have a go , its all about experience ;):D

youll be a pro by the end of the project

3. Zig

Zig Member

Thanks guys!

I am just a bit excited about the direction my truck is going. The latest is, my dad wants to help with the building of a garage to keep it in. I could build a pole barn style garage around it. I think I will.

Thanks everyone for your support! I finally finalized the paint scheme. It'll kick a$$ and make that G grill look o so good!;)

Attached Files:

4. sweet50

sweet50 Member

I can't wait until its painted and its not even my truck. I just like two tone paint schemes. (3 tone in your case)

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Looking Good !

Keep up the good work there .

:)

6. Wolf

Wolf Member

any more information on your truck lately? I know you have ordered the front suspension right? how about that garage? got that built over it yet:D

7. booger

booger Member

Wow !

great paint job just like glass can see your reflection in cab top. btw what kind of carb is that on the engine ?

8. Wolf

Wolf Member

zig has a gmc like me:D

his should have the zenith carb

9. Zig

Zig Member

Taaa~Daaa!

Well, at long last it's back on it's feet again!:D

My 2" lowered Eaton springs and the shocks my better half got me a waaaaay long time ago!

Now to move it all 5 feet to the left so I can start in on my garage!

Attached Files:

10. Zig

Zig Member

Sorry, Booger!

I'm sorry I've not checked these posts as thoroughly as I would like! THANKS for the complement! I used clear coat on all of it just to help extend the life of the paint. Thanks to the erratic nature of the volume of paint my gun put out, it's safe to say it is coated "well":rolleyes:.

As far as the carby, I have manufactured that one. (patten pending) It's called "Carb in a Can" (Only one carb per can...:D)

I'll wait until I build the garage to put the real one on it and then adorn it with Ken's oil bath breather he sent me. Just haven't decided what color it will be. Black? Gold? RRRRRRRRED? Time will tell.

But thatnks for the complement, Booger. Much appreciated!

11. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Zig, send me back my oil bath filter!

That can looks way better than that greasy piece of crap I sent ya!:D

12. Tailgater

Tailgater Member

Zig,
    Do you still plan to put the KC arrow on the side? The truck is looking great but I don't know anyone who could use a garage more than you. I am sure you will appreciate little things like a floor, roof, heater etc.
    Keep up the good work,
    Gater

13. mobileortho

mobileortho Member

Looking good Zig! Are you painting in your yard?

14. Zig

Zig Member

Thanks guys!

G~ I think I'll just leave it a white, red, and yellow paint scheme. For Chiefs day, I'll get one of those big Chiefs flags and plant it in the bed. (Like Sweet does with the American flag...) And yes, a garage will be a wonderful thing. I've not had one since I was out in Vandy land, and that was from '82~'85!

Mobile~ you know it! every thing I've done to my truck has been out in the great wide open. It looks like you've done a lot of your work that way as well, no? Have you decided about how you'll paint yours?

Ken~ I'm sorry, but the bath is mine! If you want it, you'll have to come get it!:D I'll only give it back if you get another AD to rebuild and you really need it. ...like, say, that panel of yours!:cool:

15. mobileortho

mobileortho Member

I dont have a garage as of yet but I've done most of mine out doors. I was hoping to be farther along than I am now before winter hits. I'm still deciding on what color to paint it. Red, silver, grey & blue are all contenders right now but I still have to straighten the rear fenders before laying down some paint. A local shop wants to charge me $500 just for that.

Yours is looking GRREAT!. Did you have any problems with dust of debis painting outside? I'd be afraid a bird would leave it's calling card in the middle of painting it! BY the way, what kind of spray rig are you using?

16. Zig

Zig Member

Keep in mind, I knew I was taking my chances painting out in the great wide open. I found that bugs LOVE the smell of auto paint. That, or as they fly over, they get so buzzed that they sorta fall out of the sky. So, yes, there are some places that will forever remind me of my back yard buddies.
    The other thing was, I had my doors laying on a table. I cleaned them one more time with a tack rag. I went to load up the gun with clear. I came back and started spraying. I noticed as the clear was laying down over a door, that a CAT had jumped up on the table and walked across my door with little muddy paws. Not TOO muddy, but enough that they will forever live in my paint job.
    Again~ My truck is not for show, so to speak, but it will be shiny, and I will have done everything with my own hands and your guys' advice! That is important to me.

The rig I use is my gun, (you've seen the picture under paint scheme and gun, right?) an air hose with an in line pressure regulator hooked to a twin tank small compressor. (Probably a 4 gallon combined tank?) I use it to power my nail guns but since the paint gun takes less pressure, and it has a quick refill time, and I'm not running a constant stream of paint, it keeps up just fine. I bought my compressor used from All-Quip.

So, Mobile~ Get a tank, some hose, (don't really need the regulator cause the tank has one, it just lets me adjust the pressure for the gun and not screw with the higher setting needed for my nail guns) and a paint gun and get after it!:cool:

17. Zig

Zig Member

Gee~ It's been HOW long???

Thought I put these next pictures on this thread and keep the rear end photos for the "Installing a Colorado Rear End" thread.
    Anyway, now BOTH front fenders have received the bare metal/etching primer thing. Next~ the hood! Taking these pieces down to bare metal has GOT to be the most BORING job in the world! I know, I know~ I probably don't need to do it, but I am...
    Anyway, as I was grinding away I thought, "Hey, I have two people's rides being represented here! Mike's truck, and Mark's truck!
    BTW, I found out this last fender had a couple of spots that need some work. I will be getting some of that metal welding adhesive that Evan said he uses and patch in some metal on the inside of the fender so I can use a little filler and "remove the holes". Just like the one that was drilled in the front of the fender by the PO. :mad:

Attached Files:

18. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

oil bath filter

Ken do you need one????

19. Kens 50 PU

Kens 50 PU Member

Hey Robert, no, but thanks! I'm in good shape on oil bath filters. I love seeing pics of that oil bath filter on Ziggy's engine though. That manly GMC motor with a CHEVY filter on it!:eek::D

Zig, it's looking good man. Keep sending pics!

20. markcp

markcp Member

Hey looking great.