Father's Day Approacheth

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by vwnate1, Jun 13, 2013.

1. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

And I hope all here who have Fathers living and / or Sons still @ home , take the time to thank them and spend some time .

My Son called me last week and told me to set this Sunday aside , we're apparently going out to Johnson Valley Ca. , a little burg called " Landers " near 29 Palms where he's looking at land to buy ~ a house with more than one acre is under $10,000 .

Only some of them have water and sewer , most have electricity .

We'll see , in either case I'll be riding shotgun as he takes me wherever it is he wants to go and I'll love every second of it .

2. ccharr

ccharr Member

Those are the drives everyone remembers and talks about for years to come. Thanks for sharing that Nate.

Charles

3. Zig

Zig Member

Sounds great, Nate!
    I know I will take my daughter out for breakfast, then come home and play Barbies with her, and then grab my fishing gear and hit the lake to do a little catfishing with me pappy! Then in the evening, grill up some goodies and load my rear end in the back of the car to take it to Joplin for the welding it needs.

(You KNOW I'm talking about my TRUCK'S new rear end, right?)

Enjoy the day, dads!

4. 52wasp

52wasp Member

I will likely spend some quality time at a family BBQ with Dad. I will have the opportunity to thank him for over 5 decades of being a shining example of what integrity is. While I am quite a bit taller than Dad, I am dwarfed by the shadow he casts, and will forever be in his debt for all he has taught me about what kind of Man to be. He has truly led by example, and it is not just Fathers Day when I remind him of that. I can only hope that the man whose face I shave in the mirror will be viewed by his own children with such respect and gratitude.

Thanks Dad

5. Zig

Zig Member

Well said, Mike!

6. ccharr

ccharr Member

We need a like button, Thanks Mike.

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Yep ;

I have tried to be an example to my Son and he's certainly turned out better than I ever hoped .

We enjoy many of the same things , any time he says " let's go Dad " , I drop whatever I'm doing and go , it's always a good time .

8. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

My dad was far too young when he departed this Earth at 52 years of age. I was a very impressionable 15 when he passed. Though it may not have seemed like it at times, I was always watching and listenining... and hoping I could become half the man he was. While I followed in his footsteps and became a fireman, he left impossibly large boots to fill. I miss him now more than ever. I learned many life lessons from him, but at that young age, there were so many conversations we never had the opportunity to share. I think he would enjoy the fire engine project, and of course the Sinclair Chevy truck.

Happy Father's Day, dad. Sure do miss ya.

Happy Father's Day to all the dads here as well.

Damon

9. steve

steve Member

There are some Great peeps here

Nate,

Great story, there are some good people here with a very good understanding of what's important in life.

Damon and Charles, my son is a firefighter in Maryland and was in the Air Force, a Christian and a good overall person. I do agree, my advice is time is short, life with siblings is the most important time you have on this earth, I seen many people put careers as the number one priority, they need to step back and think.

Nothing like a meal with my son, I listen to his stories, tell him some on my experiences and it's a great time.

Quick story, when my son (very responsible) started driving his AMC wagoner, a photo ticket with his wagoner was sent to our home (His ticket for running a red light) he asked "what you got there dad?" as I was opening up the mail, he assumed I would be upset, I responded "that's a great looking Jeep!"

I been blessed..

10. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Fathers day

My son and girlfriend will take us to the national flight museum, at Gardermoen airport where they have this collection of old airplanes. A trip of about one hour through the country side and hills in the region. There is one spsesific airplane there that is very intresting, an German 6 cyl. 1907 Traube airplane used for civil purposes in the earlyer days.

Looking very much forward to that.

Wish you guys a very nice fathers day Martinius.

11. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Aircraft

Are they all static displays or do they fly them ? .

Here in the good old U.S. of A. , many regional airports have many dedicated vintage and antique aircraft clubs and shop , not only can you look at the planes , they'll roll them out and flyaway in them .

One of my favorites is Chino Airport , they have many interesting aircraft there including a 19?? Northrup " Flying Wing " that actually flies ~ the last time I was there they were pushing it out for a pre - flight check so I was ooted to that bit of asphalt until it coughed & wheezed into life , warmed up , taxied and took off ~ WOW :) .

I don't know what your favorite vintage air craft is (mine's the Douglas DC-3 but seeing an air going AD pickup truck fire up and rattle down the run way , attain life and soar into the clouds , is a BIG DEAL for Aviation nuts .

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Anticipation

My Son called me last night & told me to pick him up at his InLaw's house in Phelan ,Ca. to - morrow and for GOD'S SAKE Dad , DON'T drive that damn Metropolitan Nash ! we'll be going down many dirt roads and he doesn't want me beating it up :rolleyes: .

It should be near 100* F there , I guess I'll forgo the Air Conditioned Mercedes and drive my '69 Chevrolet C/10 instead , that seems a more appropriate vehicle for banging around The High Desert in :p .

As soon as I'm done with this mornings E-Mails & Tech Support , I'll go grease the front end then de - grease it so the dust & sand have nothing to stick to .

Best of all , he's an early riser like me so I can roll out of bed around 03:00 , grab some coffee & hit the road , by the time I get to Phelan the sun should be riz and we can get going .

After I get the truck greased & cleaned , I'll address the Metropolitan ~ I need to chase some parts (kinpin) as there's still one bad trunnion and upper A-Frame bushings I need to address .

-Nate

(who'd rather FIX than switch)

13. markcp

markcp Member

Sounds like a great day. Have fun and take some pictures, would love to see the sites you did.

14. Zig

Zig Member

Dear Lord, thank you for this wonderful day. Thank you for the time I got to spend playing Barbies with my daughter this morning. We came up with a great story! Thank you that I was able to spend a couple hours with my dad today fishing at the campus lake. We caught so many catfish I lost count after the first half hour. Thank you for the incredible breeze you blew our way. I have no doubt more than the two of us were thankful for that! Finally, thank you for good movies that can be watched as a family. Uplifting movies like "Oz, the Great and Powerful". What a great way to finish Father's Day. Amen.

15. ccharr

ccharr Member

Was a really great Day Paul, glad you had time to share with the Family.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  16. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Vintage airplanes

The planes are lined up once in a while at the classic airport shows and they use them , My son and i prefere to use some extra time looking at the really old onces Hans Grade and Traube1907-1930. Mostly wooden frames combined with alluminum or steel and in row six cyl. engines from the same maker or from porsche. The war planes like the Messersmit , saab ,spitfire are build with a lot of care. But the 50 tees freight planes , passenger planes with alluminum build on steel/alloi frames with star engines from Boeing or DC are magnificent to.

Martinius.

http://l-fischer.de/hansgrade/index.php?Museum

Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  17. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

What I Did

In the '67 ~ '72 Forum I will post the ugly pix of the brake & heater repair fiasco that consumed ALL of Saturday but Sunday morning well before Dawn I hopped into my trusty Chevrolet C/10 Pickup Truck & clattered out of Pasadena to Phelan ,Ca. where I picked up my Son and off we went .......

Attached Files:

18. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

A Nice Day

We wheezed & puttered along those (in)famous Desert Back Roads through Lucerne , Johnson valley , Landers , many more dusty wind swept places he's thinking of buying a lot in as he likes to ride Motocycles in the sand with his beautiful , race winning Wife... now they take Penny along & drive his Dune Buggy .

19. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Pix (maybe)

Let's see if I can get this to post a pic or three.....

Attached Files:

20. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Great trip revue

Nate

Thanks for sharing your trip adventure and photos . Whas there anything in particulaire you wanted to see in these dessert areas ? It looks like you guys had a very nice day.

Thanks Martinius.