Straight 6 performance

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by pearldrumbum, Mar 19, 2006.

1. pearldrumbum

pearldrumbum Member

Hello, I like many, if not most people with our 60-66 trucks have put a small block v8 in my truck. But the more i think about it, i would like to put an inliner back in it for uniqueness, but still keep close to the same power im making now. Ihavnt researched a ton yet, but form what ive found out so far, the '68 292 block is the most powerful straight 6 chevy made during the 60's. Does anybody know anywhere i can find out more about performance straight 6s? (websites, books etc). Frankly im just kinda bored with finding a small block under the hood of almost every truck i see from our era. My truck personally is a 60, originally had a 235, but that block is long gone or else id use it and stay original, but since that cant be done, i want to have fun with another straight 6.... Any help is appreciated, thanks!

jesse

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

Check out Clifford Performance at http://www.cliffordperformance.net/

Impressive performance is available fot the stovebolt.

Also, The Stovebolt Page at http://www.stovebolt.com/ is a great resource and discussion forum on the inline six.

DVal

3. coilover

coilover Member

Jesse, do you want to keep it all chevy? If not, there is a whole smorgasboard of inline performance engines out there. Several that come to mind are the Jeep 4.0, the Jag DOHC 4.2, and of course the really fast BMW. We had a shop truck that had a Pontiac sprint engine that came factory with a 4 bbl on a SOHC inline six. Most people thought it was a V8 and a healthy one at that. Since you don't have an engine on hand now it might be something to consider. These offbreed engines can sometimes be had for a reasonable price(probably not the BMW) because the rod market isn't hot for them. You would also need fairly extensive facilities to do the swap but, it would definitely be differant. One other thing that would be almost a bolt in are the 270 and 302 GMC. More cubes, torque, seven main bearings, full flow oiling, and looks almost exactly like your old 235.

4. UltraRick

UltraRick Member

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-21-06 AT 08:23 AM (CST)]Try this site. It is very helpful. www.inliners.org