Greg's 50 Build

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Root2812, May 26, 2012.

1. MN Jim

MN Jim Member

Sorry Greg no generator hope that 57 Chevy one will work out for you! Good luck.

Jim

2. Root2812

Root2812 Member

I got the 57 Chevy generator and regulator. Now I just need all the bulbs and resistors to finish a 12v conversion. My uncle gave me them for free so I'm happy. I also finally got my rear suspension out of the donor. That was also free. I'll be posting up some pictures tomorrow.

My free tranny is still sitting in the donor car but I know where it is. I really love this "free" theme I have going on.

3. Zig

Zig Member

Free is good!

4. Wolf

Wolf Member

This is awesome! Keep up the good work. Love the "paint Job" its perfect. Good to see you hauling with that as well.

5. Root2812

Root2812 Member

Well guys I need help and advice. My 6 volt generator rebuild failed because the armature was damaged. I got a free 12v generator but its not fixable either. So I decided to just get an alternator and be done with it. My first question is should I get a 3 or 1 wire? I don't really know enough to decide or on how to do the swap. Please guide me. :) The second problem is that my belt is a wide v pulley and I haven't seen a generator with the wide v. Can I swap my generator pulley over? Or can I run a narrow V belt on my motor with wide v pulleys? And what about the mount? How do I make one with simple hand tools? Or is there a cheap one to buy?

As far as the 12 volt conversion goes I'm still at square 1. I wanted to have a working generator before I ordered stuff but I pulled the trigger today anyways. I ordered all the bulbs and a resistor for the gas gauge. (I already had a 12v coil with a built in resistor). Am I missing anything there?

I'd like to get to drive my truck a few more times this year so any help you guys can give would be helpful and appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  6. Zig

Zig Member

Root~ I went 1 wire alternator from a (shoot, I forget) Fire Bird? I took the pulley that was for a wide V-belt off my original generator and applied it to my new alternator. Works great. Hope this helps?
    Oh, you'll need the new brackets, but that's no big deal, just more $$$... (as always)

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Charging

Me ;

I went with the one wire ' SI ' Delcotron alternator from a '89 Camaro (IIRC) as I knew any FLAPS in America would have it in stock , always .

It's best to add an ignition powered exciter wire with diode so it charges all the time but you can just connect the un fused battery wire directly to it and as soon as you pass 3,000 RPM's (about the time you shift into second gear) , it'll begin charging all by it's ownself .

I used the original 6 volt generator bracket by flipping it 180? and drilling one hole .

You can run the narrow V - belt in the old wide sheave crank pulley , sooner or later you'll find a $5 narrow sheave pulley from a '55 > 235 or , just ask Joe AKA Mother Trucker , he'll have the ' Just So ' correct one in stock and will ship it to your door .

OOPS : I see you want to run the wide V Belt , just use your old pulley on the alternator .

8. Root2812

Root2812 Member

Update.

Well I've been slowed down lately by other projects like trying to repair my broken dishwasher but I got back on the truck yesterday. It has brakes again, the visor is fully mounted (not just sitting there), New tires on the front (well used but newer), and its back outside. I also took the sending unit out of my gas tank to see if maybe the float was bad because my fuel guage wasn't working. Turns out the sending unit was rusted solid. I tested the guage and it still works but it reads empty since the sender is shot. Anyone got a free one of those laying around? :)

I also started on my 12 volt conversion but I am not finished yet. My free alternator was bad but a $13 rebuild kit from Fleet Farm and I got it fixed. Now I have everything I need to get back on the road. I've been slacking on the pictures so I'll try and post some soon.

9. JW 54

JW 54 Member

Root,
    I have a used sending unit you are welcome to. I'm pretty sure it still works.
    PM me your address and I will send it right out to you.

JW

10. Root2812

Root2812 Member

Wow! Thank you.

11. Root2812

Root2812 Member

So I got to mounting the alternator. Another road block. The generator bracket I was going to use to mount the alternator is in the way. I unbolted it from the block so I could drill new holes and move it back an inch or so. No dice.... The steel is too hard for my hand drill. I'll have to wait until next weekend to use my father in-law's drill press.

Slow progress but I am getting there! I'll finish the conversion to 12v and mount the alternator later.

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Alternator Mount

Remember : you have to flip the old generator mount around 180? before marking and drilling , one hole to make it work .

13. Root2812

Root2812 Member

Nate, do you have any pictures of diagrams? Even if I flip the bracket around the tab on it tries to take the same space as the alternator. I'd have to move the bracket back until the front bolt that holds the generator bracket to the block is right underneath the upright part of the bracket.

14. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Generator Bracket

I don't ~

I just flipped it around 180 degrees then installed the one bolt and mounted my Delcotron SI alternator to it to see if it'd hold the pulley sheaves in proper alignment , it did so I removed the alternator and used a Magic Marker to locate the other hole , I drilled it and filed it a little bit with a rat tail file to ensure it aligned properly , re - mounted the alternator using a long bolt & some flat washers to shim it into place .

Later on the 3" stack of flat washers bugged me so I cut off some old galvanized steel water pipe I scrounged from a Plumber's Truck @ Work to serve as a spacer , I prefer the one long bolt ~ I grew up on the Farm and so use simple and direct (if FUGLY) fixes whenever possible .

As soon as I snugged up the first bracket to block bolt and began test fitting the alternator , I knew it'd work .

Of course you can buy a $20 (?) alternator to 216/235/261 bracket OnLine , made in China , it might be any good , might not .

Joe (Mothertrucker) will have the correct " Just So " original 1962 (one year only & highly sought after) 235 alternator bracket too .

Me , I'm " Yankee Thrifty " (means : CHEAP) so I make do with whatever I find lying 'round or go to my local Self - Service Junkyards and pick amongst the debris there .

YOU can do this better than most , you just have to take your time and think out side the box a bit .

Your old generator pulley will fit the alternator just fine .

15. Root2812

Root2812 Member

Today I took the sending unit JW 54 gave me and tried to install it. I could tell by looking at it that it was actually the wrong model. It was for a 54+ where mine is a 50. I tried to put it in but it wouldn't fit with the fuel pick up tube on it. I didn't need that since my fuel like is on the bottom of the tank so I decided to trim it down. While doing so I went and broke it. It was a little fragile in its age but I feel stupid having broke it.

Thanks you JW for the gift. I really appreciate it.

16. Root2812

Root2812 Member

SUCCESS!

Ahh that wonderful feeling you get after fighting with a task for a long time and then you finally get it! I still have to swap the bulbs over but today the truck started and ran with an alternator!

Here is the "custom" bracket I made. It works just as good as the spendy ones you can buy.
    [​IMG]
    As you can see it moves the alternator back to line up the pully and moves it over a little bit. The alternator I got was trying to occupy the same real estate as the tab on the generator bracket so I just moved the bracket back, ran my threaded rod through, and viola!

I haven't wired it up yet but I started it with the alternator on to make sure it wouldn't throw the belt. WOW does it start great with 12V! The alternator does vibrate pretty good when it runs at a higher rpm but I'll have to drive it some to test it out. So far its working out.

Here is the finished thing!
    [​IMG]

I'm really excited and proud. This was my first real fabrication to solve a problem. It was small but it took me a long time to figure out and get right. Now I'm ready for the next one. I do only have one regret. The alternator wires come out at the 3 o'clock position so they point to the block. If someone else does this like me get one with the wires coming out at the 9 o'clock position. And yes I am using a 3 wire GM alternator with the internal regulator.

I saw the brackets to buy anywhere from $60 to $90. Mine cost less than $20.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  17. spurgeon

spurgeon Member

The only thing keeping it from wobbling/vibrating is a threaded bolt that's only fastened at one end. The bracket is only providing location, not stability. That won't last long...

Think it through some more...

18. Root2812

Root2812 Member

The nut on the front is tightened down on it now that its in.

19. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

I agree with Spurgeon. Allthread is soft.

20. ccharr

ccharr Member

Your idea is great; using a grade 8 bolt the length of your all thread will help the life of the shaft as designed and the shaft a snug fit in the alt. fastening hole. However if you had some 5/16ths or larger flat steel the same width as you have there, or try that gauge, cut a piece longer where you can slide the bracket out so the Alt. will sit inside the bracket and the pulleys line up, then washer and double nut the inside.
    The all thread will not with stand the forces cantilevered out as it is and the hole in the alt. not a snug fit.

Charles