Help

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Danny#1, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Danny#1

Danny#1 Member

Can anyone tell me where the Sun tachometer transformer for my 66 C10 would mount??

2. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Are you talking about the factory set-up or an aftermarket deal?

3. markeb01

markeb01 Member

I don't believe Sun tach's were offered through GM on the 66 Chevy truck. I think only GMC's got those. I believe the factory tach that went in the Chevy cluster was probaby a Delco item, and I don't know if those used a transmitter. Here's an example of a replacement item:

[​IMG]

http://www.classicparts.com/1963-66-Tachometer-Conversion-Kit/productinfo/24-735/

Although back in 1966 Sun Tach's were a hot rodder's must have item. Many were installed in trucks right along with every brand of cars. My dad even put one in his 1958 Nash Metropolitan. If it was an aftermarket purchase, the transmitter would go wherever the owner preferred. This was normally on a fender panel or somewhere on the firewall. I would think the fenderwell would have been preferred as there isn't much firewall space available on a heater equipped truck.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  4. Danny#1

Danny#1 Member

Not sure if it is factory. It is in the gauge cluster. It is a Sun tach 8500 rpm. The transmitter is a EB-9A also made by Sun. I am thinking it needs to be on the drivers side fender well??? Any input would be helpful.