A/C

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by mpjp1964, Feb 19, 2006.

1. mpjp1964

mpjp1964 Member

I plan to install A/C before summer, and I would like some thoughts on what system may be best, and if I should attempt installation myself or have it done. Do I go with Vintage Air, or Old Air Products, or some other brand? I'm sure someone out there has done this, so please tell me about your experiences.
    I have a 1964 C-10 with a 1976 (pretty sure) 350 motor.
    I also plan on doing a re-wire job, so should I definitely do this before the A/C goes in, or can the original wiring handle the addition of A/C, and the re-wire be done at another time?
    Thanks in advance for any and all help.
    Mike

2. drabo

drabo Member

2-60 ac works great.

3. chris

chris Member

my way is 2 windows down going 60 on the highway

4. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

PERSONALLY IM WITH CHRIS ON THIS ONE, I LIKE THE WIND IN MY HAIR AND THE HORSEPOWER TO THE REAR WHEELS.

66 KUSTOM

5. 283 man

283 man Member

If you open the wings you get more air....HA HA!!

6. mpjp1964

mpjp1964 Member

I appreciate everyones comments however uninformitive they are. I too, like to feel the natural air whenever it suits the situation or driving conditions. However, we drive the vehicles we have had and restored. We have driven to Rapid city, South Dakota, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Texas, and so on. We may go when it is 90-100 degrees, and at those temperatures the open window and WING does not afford much comfort. I may not wish to install A/C if all we did was to drive around town and to cruises, but we put the tires on the highway and enjoy our vehicle, and traveling in our vehicle. So, if that means in order to be comfortable on the drive, then YES, I will install and enjoy A/C, and enjoy the outside air through open windows when I can.
    Thanks for your comments.

Mike

7. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

WERE JUST JOKING AROUND MIKE, ALOT OF US ARE TRADITIONAL OL SKOOL RODDERS THAT JUST RACE AROUND TOWN AND EAT UP FORIEGN CARS. I AGREE WITH YOU. WHEN DRIVING LONG DISTANCES IN THE SUMMER HEAT, A/C IS NOT AN OPTION, IT IS A MUST.

66 KUSTOM

8. chris

chris Member

hell yeah

9. 283 man

283 man Member

I dont have the a/c I just deal with the heat, its like the old saying IF YOU CANT STAND THE HEAT GET OUT OF THE KITCHEN....;-)

10. mpjp1964

mpjp1964 Member

I knew that the comments were meant in jest, I just wanted to get a rise out of you and turn it back on you guys a little. I really do appreciate any and all comments, criticism, and suggestions from the forum. We don't all have the same likes and dislikes - that is what makes every car and truck unique to the owner. It would be pretty boring if we all had the same vehicle done the same way. Whatever we do to our respective car or truck, we all do it for the same love and passion of our hobby. That IS the one thing we all have in common.
    Thanks again to all of you,

Mike

11. 283 man

283 man Member

Got that right Mike,sounds like your a down to earth type person.My passion & love for 1960 to 1966 chevy trucks will allways be with me their is something about this model of truck that makes me look at them differently than other trucks,so many different size motors will fit in under the hood the engine bay has room for that,I often wonder if chevys monster motor 572 would fit in under the hood????

12. drabo

drabo Member

Of course a 572BB will fit. Between the fan shroud and the fan extension, there is alot of room. The exhaust might be a problem though.

13. coilover

coilover Member

Mike, I think your question was what system to go with and the ease of installation not how tough you were to take Texas heat without A/C. If others want to arrive with sweaty backs and ill temper that's their perogative but if you want the best system with excellent factory support, go with Vintage Air. A few bucks more but complete with all wiring included. Your electrical system will do fine but cooling might require some attention. After all, Gm offered a/c on these trucks so there must have been a demand for it even in the sixties. I don't know how to put a picture on a web site but can email you a pic of mine with the factory air.

14. mpjp1964

mpjp1964 Member

Evan, thanks for the straight reply. I'm glad you understand where I'm coming from. I simply want to have a nice driver. A truck that my wife and I can take on the road, have fun with, but be comfortable at the same time. As we get older, the heat becomes less bearable. Thanks for your input as to which vendor you have had good luck with. I look forward to seeing the pictures of your truck. Did you do the installation yourself or have it done? Again thanks for the reply.

Mike
    mpjp1964@yahoo.com