What should I do with my engine?

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by mcmanalot60, Jan 30, 2006.

1. mcmanalot60

mcmanalot60 Member

Hi hows it going everyone. A month ago I bought a 1960 Chevy Apache fleetside shortbox with 23,000 original miles. The trucks body is nearly perfect with just a few minor flaws which are to be expected for a truck that old. My truck has 235 c.i. straight six and I was wondering if I could get everyones opinion on what I should do with the engine? My friend and I recently found out the engine has low compression and it probably needs rebuilding. So pretty much what I'd like to know is should I rebuild my current engine or upgrade to a 350 or something else. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Cole.

2. 62 short step

62 short step Member

RE: What should I do with my engine

Hi, well for starters, do you want to keep it original? Or do you want more power? Me I like more power!! If your like me then you might want to go with a v-8, but in the long run its totally up to you. Jeremy

3. SprintB11

SprintB11 Member

My opinion, keep the 6. There are enough trucks with 350 swaps, be original. Check out www.cliffordperformance.net they have some cool stuff. Oh yeah, Hilborn makes a fuel injection unit for in line sixes and there are some crossflow heads available too. Just some things to think about. And maybe someone will remember, there was an artical in Custom Classis Trucks or Classic Trucks on the sixes, one in particular with 1000 some horsepower! I will say this, a 350 is cheaper but nothing sounds like an inliner with split maifolds and a four barrel!
    Chris

4. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

IM NOT SURE HOW "ORIGANAL THAT WOULD BE TO LEAVE THE "ORIGANAL 6" IN THE TRUCK SINCE A TON OF TRUCKS WERE ORGINALLY MADE WITH THEM, BUT IF YOUR LOOKING FOR ORIGANALITY MAYBE GO WITH A FORD FLAT HEAD WITH SOME STROMBURG 97'S. SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO SACRIFICE ORIGANALLITY FOR FUNCTION AND H.P..

66 KUSTOM

5. 283 man

283 man Member

I would never put a ford motor in a chevy its just not right,so many great CHEVY egines 235,250,292,283,327,305,350....ect,these engines our the backbones of our trucks........;)

6. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

VERY TRUE, I AGREE COMPLETLY, I DONT AGREE WITH CROSS BREEDING VEHICLES I WAS JUST SAYING HOW FAR YOU CAN GO TO BE "ORIGANAL". BUT ON THE OTHER HAND IM NOT A ONE BRAND MAN PERSONALLY, THERE ARE ALOT OF FORDS AND DODGES I LIKE TOO.

66 KUSTOM

7. 283 man

283 man Member

They just dont make automobles like they use to,Im a chevy man by heart exspecially 1960 to 1966 chevy trucks.I like every old classic car or truck weather it be a ford,dodge or chevy.I really hate seeing a classic automobile sitting somewhere rotting away,Its just sad to see those ones you know that are fixabile rot away...:(

8. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

THATS FOR SURE, I ALSO REALLY HATE SEEING HOLLYWOOD DESTROY A FEW GOOD CLASSICS JUST TO MAKE A TEN SECOND CAR WRECK IN A MOVIE. I THINK THEY FINALLY PASSED A LAW ABOUT WRECKING CARS THAT ARE X AMOUNT OF YEARS OLD. I AGREE, THEY SURE DONT MAKE UM LIKE THEY USED TOO!! IM BUILDING MY 66, FIRST OFF BECAUSE MY LOVE FOR 60-66 CHEVY PICKUPS, BUT ALSO BECAUSE MY LATE FATHER OWNED A 64 STEPSIDE AND SO RESTORING AND KUSTOMIZING THIS TRUCK IS FOR THE MEMORY OF HIM.

66 KUSTOM

9. 283 man

283 man Member

I have great deal of respect for you 66 KUSTOM for you doing your 66 in the memory of your late father, thats like my 1966 c-10 shortbed fleetside,my dad use to own it he gave it to me years back,I know my dad is getting up their in years,my truck is like that to me,I know how you fell about your truck&I bet you after you get it finshed it will be super nice....My truck even has a name his name is Herby my 15 year old son named him that & its just stuck around all these years, My son is even really starting to get into the 1960 to 1966 chevy trucks, look at Matt1965 photo down toward bottom of the page, Matthew my son wants me to buy him this truck for $4900.00 but funds wont let me do it right now mybe next year...:)

10. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

THATS REALLY COOL, THANK YOU, THATS VERY COOL THAT YOU SHARE SAME REASONS AS ME. THATS EVEN COOLER THAT YOU WERE ABLE TO GET THE TRUCK STRAIGHT FROM YOUR DAD. I USED TO GIVE MY OLD MAN ALOT OF CRAP ABOUT GETTING RIDE OF HIS, BUT IM SURE HE HAD GOOD REASONS. THATS REALLY COOL ABOUT YOUR SON GETTING EXCITED ABOUT THESE TRUCKS, I HAVE A SON THATS SUPPOSED TO BE BORN IN ABOUT SIX WEEKS SO IM CROSSING MY FINGERS THAT HE MIGHT BE INTRESTED IN KEEPING THE FAMILY TRADITION OF WORKING ON 60-66 TRUCKS. I HAVENT COME UP WITH A NAME YET FOR THE OLD GIRL, BUT I AM TRYING!! IM NOT TO GOOD WITH COMING UP WITH NAMES. MY WIFE AND I STILL IFFY ON WHAT OUR SONS NAME GOING TO BE.:)
    DO YOU HAVE PICS OF YOUR TRUCK? I NEED TO GET A CAMERA SO I CAN SHARE MINE WITH YOU.

TAKE CARE AND THANKS AGAIN.:)

66 KUSTOM

11. Ebon Hawk

Ebon Hawk Member

I figure I'll throw my two cents in here (even though I've been accused of having no sense...)

With that low of mileage on a truck that perfect, I'd rebuild the original engine and keep it pretty much stock. It's hard to find trucks like that these days.

Personally, I enjoy taking the classic vehicles and customizing them to my own personal taste, but I usually buy ones that have already been used and abused, and just work up from there.

If I were to come across a truck like yours, though, I'd change my philosiphy for that instance, and go 100% original. Even if you end up not liking it too much, and get rid of it, you'll make a killing selling an all original vehicle. Plenty of people out there looking for just that.

That's just my humble oppinion, and we all know what oppinions are like... everyone's got one, and they all stink. Good luck!