1954 or 1953 truck

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by JoeR, Jul 13, 2013.

1. JoeR

JoeR Member

Hi all. I just registered on this site and have a question regarding a purchase I'm about to make. I'm looking at '50s 3100 trucks. I've seen at least 2 ads on Craig's list now that advertise "1954" trucks but with what appears to be a pre 1954 grill, the multiple bar grill rather than the bull nose one. Can anyone tell me if there were early '54 trucks that still had the old grill, or do these people not know what they have?

thank you

2. jhardy

jhardy Member

1954 was a transition year. The early 54's were basically the same as the 53's. The late 54's had a redisgned grill and other changes. This is quick response so if you check our hosts website there should be more information detailing the mid year changes.

Welcome and have fun with your new adventure.

Jim

3. ccharr

ccharr Member

Welcome aboard Joe, enjoy the ride while here and once you get the truck you want. See if you can get the people to send you the #'s off the door post so one can figure when the truck was made.

Charles

4. ccharr

ccharr Member

Jim,
    Where are the photos of your truck, can not seen to find any?

Charles

5. coilover

coilover Member

Have never known of an early and late 54, just 55's. We have put many 53 or older front sheet metal clips on 54 and 55.1 as many find them more attractive than the bull nose. This 54 had both an older front clip and the old style bed put on it. Really can't see the grill but note the one piece curved windshield. If you can find a 55 first series it has the open rear end so better highway gearing is a snap.

Attached Files:

6. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Historicall view!

Welcome aboard

http://trucks.about.com/od/classictrucks/ss/Classic-Chevy-Trucks-1918-1959.htm

http://1954advance-design.com/

The 55 truck is technically an improved AD compared to the older models , else there is no difference really except from the front grill design.
    The more reliable 4 speed transmission and rear end are far better then the closed tube solution and give some less work when rebuilding/overhauling them.

There where none 54 modells made like the 55.The 54 is excactly the same as the 53 1 series.In 1955 the new line 2 series came wich had a complete different chassis but still available with straight 6 or smaller V 8 engines some time later. However some trucks had the 3 on the colum Saginaw and some had the Munchie 4 on the floor Sm 420/SM 465 transmissions depending on what assembly they where made and there purpose.

Martinius.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  7. JoeR

JoeR Member

Thanks Jim, and everyone. I can't paste the pic here but I've attached it. I think. The owner claims the pink slip says it's a '54 so I'm going to ask him for the vin and see what that says.

Thanks again, I'm sure I'll need all the help I can get on this.

Attached Files:

8. JoeR

JoeR Member

I just noticed that that truck also has a split windshield.

9. GrandpaGlenn0

GrandpaGlenn0 Member

The sloped bedsides, grill and split windshield all indicate pre 1954--many trucks were not sold until 1954 and some states registered them in the year sold-- that may be the case here -- mfg in 1953 but sold in 1954.
    Nice looking truck. Good luck with it.
    Glenn

10. ccharr

ccharr Member

Mine is a 48 but was sold in late 47 so it was registered as a 47, still is.

Attached Files:

11. jhardy

jhardy Member

Charles, here is a picture of the 51 Chevy.

Attached Files:

12. jhardy

jhardy Member

And the GMC waiting for time in the shop.

Attached Files:

13. jhardy

jhardy Member

My original post was wrong, I trusted my memory..... Poor choice. :)

According to the brief history in our host's catalog 1954 new curved windshield,bullnose grille and flat bed rails. The mid year changes came in 1955.

Jim

14. ccharr

ccharr Member

Thanks Jim, It is always good to associate a truck wit a name. The G looks like it will also be a good project.

Thanks again,
    Charles

15. JoeR

JoeR Member

Thanks again guys. I think Glenn has it. A '53 that wasn't sold until '54 so when it was first registered it shows up as a '54. We'll see what happens.

16. Zig

Zig Member

Great looking trucks, Jim! I especially love the G! (for some reason...)

17. skalywag

skalywag Member

I am more inclined to say that truck in the picture you attached is a pre 1953 model - maybe a 1951 - 1952 model with the long bed (extra stanchion) or a 3/4 ton. the insignia on the hood sides, the wing window, and the door handles are clues that I followed.