New Member working on 51' GMC

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by 3kross, Aug 4, 2013.

1. 3kross

3kross Member

Hi everybody I just joined this site and having been looking around lots of good information on here. I'm getting ready to start on a 1951 GMC pickup and need to look for some new panels I want to know if the Chevy and GMC fenders, hood ect are the same I know the grilles are different but what else can interchange. Any help would be great,

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Welcome !

Fixing your icon to include your State always gets more responses as folks like to help neighbors....

If you look at older GMC and AD body works posts , you'll find a wealth of info on what fits what (I'm a Bowtie Guy so I don't really know .

Do you still have the most excellent L O N G Motor ? .

3. ccharr

ccharr Member

Welcome aboard enjoy tour ride while here. Got photos anywhere?

4. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Welcome, KRoss. I used chevy front and rear fenders on my GMC. The fronts for the chevy don't have cutouts for the turn signals below the headlights, but that's no problem. The hoods, however, are not the same. GMC hood is cut a lot different at the front to accommodate the Grill surround on the G. The hood latch assembly is considerably different as well. You didn't ask, but the radiator support is unique to GMC. Practically everything else is exactly the same, as far as I've been able to determine. I started with a Chevy and GMC donors and built my GMC from all available parts that were in good enough condition to use. Hope this helps a little. Bill

5. Zig

Zig Member

WELCOME!!!! Another GMC owner, eh?
    I'm loving it!
    Post some pictures if you can so we can see your baby.
    Yup that's the differences between the two. Hood, grille surround, (obviously) and the tailgate. ;)
    Good luck! As Nate asked, do you know if you have the mighty 228 straight 6 or has it already been V8ed?

6. SkeeterBilt

SkeeterBilt Member

welcome! whats your plans for her?
    now post some pictures, because we loove pictures

7. 3kross

3kross Member

Hey Every body thanks for the invites and info, Here are a few pics of the truck its a customer of mine Im doing a full restoration on it as stock as we can and yes we are trying to keep the old 6 if we can I need to get it out and have it checked. Iv never done one of these trucks Im more of hot rod guy but any time I do a new project I like to learn as much as I can so Im sure il be asking more questions. Thanks for all the help so far

Attached Files:

8. ccharr

ccharr Member

Great patina on it. Thanks for posting the photos

9. 3kross

3kross Member

Thanks he hasn't picked a color yet Il be in my new show in about a month then Il get started on the chassis and rust repair.

10. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

11. 3kross

3kross Member

That looks like a lot of good info thanks! One thing I haven't seen yet is the difference in a 3 window and a 5 window truck I see them for the same years was that just a option you could get?

12. 3kross

3kross Member

That's a very nice truck is the silver on the inside how the factory would have done it my customer wants to go as stock as we can with in his budget.

13. ccharr

ccharr Member

Being able to see while backing up is one big difference. Deluxe model. More hot sun on your head in the afternoon/evening. Cops being able to see you better while you down the cold one.

14. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

5 Window Cab

This was called " Nu-View " and was heavily pushed as a safety option plus it came on the DeLuxe models with lots of stainless steel surround mouldings .

So , a 5 window cab on a base model truck sans heater , was original and correct .

Personally I don't like the sun burning the back of my neck so I made a point of getting a 3 window cab and rathger enjoyed driving it far across the desert .

He's paying , do it how the Customer likes it .

-Nate

15. 3kross

3kross Member

Hey Guys thought I would update you on my build. As if yesterday I got the front clip off and determined that it has the wrong engine somebody has swapped out the 228 for a 216 so Il have to see what my customer wants to do there, Il keep you posted as I get more time.

Attached Files:

16. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

GMC Engines

Remember to check the door tag to see where it was built as Canadian GMC's got Chevy engines .