at idle in gear, tranny pulls hard

Discussion in 'Performance, Engine, and Transmission' started by VELCRO, Oct 7, 2012.

1. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

I have a 1958 half ton in which I installed a 1975 Chevy 350 and a 1975 turbo 350 tranny. Ever since it has been in the truck, when ever I stop at a traffic light, the tranny pulls real hard, you let off the brake and away you go, I usually put it in neutral. The engine has a cam by comp cams, the lift is 480 (just short of doing head work for the springs). It has a noticable lope at lower RPMs. 350 turbos have a vacuum modulator valve on them. People tell me that with that type of cam and with the vacuum modulator there in lies my problem. Apparantly with that cam, the vacuum modulator is starving for vacuum and this tricks the vacuum modulator into telling the tranny that we are going, thus causing the hard pull.
    The Torque convertor is a stock one, had a 2500 stall in the beginning, hated it.
    Took it to a local tranny shop, they said only cure is a tranny without a modulator valve.
    Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
    Friend of mine has the same setup in a 55 chevy and his does the same thing, so it ain't just me.
    Any help would be great, thanks

2. 66chevyc10

66chevyc10 Member

get a vacuum resivor kit? these are for engines with little vacuum at idle with big cams.