Spilling gas

Discussion in 'Performance, Engine, and Transmission' started by monkeyman73, Jan 18, 2011.

1. monkeyman73

monkeyman73 Member

I have a 73 fleetside and i always have problems putting in gas without it wanting to spill all over the place. Is it something im doing wrong or is it a defective fuel filler neck? does anyone have or had this same problem that can help me out with tips :confused:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  2. Pontiac1976

Pontiac1976 Member

That common because of the angle of the neck you have to fill them a little slower. But if the bye pass is not hooked up or blocked it may make this more aped to happen.

3. monkeyman73

monkeyman73 Member

Thanks for the info . I have noticed that some gas stations pumps, pump the gas out fast and i have no luck pumping it in at those stations. So i found a Chevron where the gas pumps out slow and i have better luck.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  4. slo73

slo73 Member

I've been having the same problem.
    I found that if I lift up slightly on the nozzle it flows wide open with no spilling.
    My natrual reaction was to push down and in, but if you lift up slightly and let a little air leak in that helps. You need to keep the vapor recovery boot compressed also.

5. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

vacume presses the air buble upwords

Hey there guys .

I am usually participating at the 50-55 forum here but i `ll hope its allright that i come with a litle input here aswell ? I know that the vacume (gasbuble) that acures in your tank presses the gas upwords when filling. Means that lifting the nozle up a bit and slowing down filling will solve the problem . My Case tractor have a bypas that goes over the top edge of the tank to prevent this minor discrepance. Maybe you could make the bypas a little bit higher with a peace of steel tube.

Martinius.

6. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Back in 1972 my Dad bought a brand spankin' new C20. We lived on a small farm and had a gas tank with a hand pump for filling up the vehicles, tractors etc.

One of my chores was to fill up the old man's pickup. I got really good at listening to the gas as I hand pumped it into the tank, you could hear when it was going to belch back out, and then slow down to keep that from happening.

Nowadays gas pumps pump a lot more fuel in regards to volume. The key, as has been elduded to above, is to lift and tilt the handle downward. When you tilt the handle downward the fuel runs down along the bottom of the neck, leaving a passage way for the air to escape. Also, if the fuel pump handle has a donut ring on the nozzle don't let it sit on the fuel tank neck, lift it up to allow the air to escape from the tank.

If the handle tilts up the gas hits the top of the neck and then gravity allows it to fall towards the bottom of the neck, thus the waterfall of gas traps the air in the tank from escaping untill it slightly pressurizes and belchs the fuel back at you while the air vents.

Long winded explanation... but I hope that helps to explain what is going on.

Happy Trails. :)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  7. 66chevyc10

66chevyc10 Member

damn COSTCO pumps flow only at full tilt pressure. i don't fill my truck full (66), just guesstimate and stop. thinking of putting in a 69 mustang tank in back and fabbing up a plate for the smaller pump nozzles and some kind of overflow return.

8. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Holy Thread Resurrection Batman :D

:eek::eek::eek: A Ford Tank In Your Classic Chevy Truck :eek::eek::eek:

Maybe try this?: https://talk.classicparts.com/showthread.php?p=88322#post88322/

9. 66chevyc10

66chevyc10 Member

i know, HARASIY!! but i want a rear fill behind the license plate.
    (but deep in my nebr farmboy heart, i still hold a soft spot for fords, have owned two in the past)