slam'd 51 suburban with 350SBC - which trans?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by sssingo, Oct 31, 2012.

1. sssingo

sssingo Member

Airride 51 Chevy suburban

Hiya Guys,

I'm new here and am currently at the starts of a major ressurection of a 51 suburban with airride and a 350SBC.

Just want to know what you think would be best trans to haul this lump around and that would allow me enough clearances without any deeper sumps or alike.

I would like as many gears as poss or an overdrive

As I see it, I've got:

TH350C (but how deep is the extra sump needed to keep these cool)
    TH400
    700R4

Any help would be appreciated. I believe there are shots on my gallery so you can see exactly how little clearance I'm dealing with

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  2. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

700r. It will fit fine. THe frames on these trucks is tucked way up, so the chassis isn't as low as the body looks.

I have a 700 in mine. OD is the only way to go.

3. ccharr

ccharr Member

Welcome aboard, enjoy the ride while here.

4. coilover

coilover Member

You don't need a deep sump pan at all, even for heavy towing; just use a transmission cooler. The heavy duty "Tow Packages" on late model trucks have this with a stock pan. The cooler can be mounted anywhere up out of the way with it's own cooling fan if necessary but usually is in front of the radiator/ac condensor. Picking the correct size is good since too big a cooler in colder areas can keep the fluid too cool. Many don't realise an inside the radiator cooler also heats the fluid to good working temp in the winter.

5. sssingo

sssingo Member

Thats good enough for me then. Cheers guys. We don't need to worry about getting too cool or too hot here in the UK - just too wet ;-)

Is there anything else I need to be aware of with fitting etc of a 700R.

6. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

May have to "message" the floor at the firewall, just like with a t 350. The crossmember is a few inches more rearward.....use a tubular one. Most trans shops will tell you that the lockup converters tend to be more problem than value, don't concern yourself too much with it. The later years are more desireable, better parts and strength. Mine is out of a 95 Suburban.

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

350thc

These fine lockup Slushboxes are found cheaply in 1980's Caddys , Buicks and even those old Chevy Impalas down to the local self service junkyard .

Not as good as over drive but far less complicated and so cheap to repair on the odd occasion .

A Lockheart by pass cooler and thermostatic valve is wise , never have to worry about cold ATF that way .

Just go with the tranny you like , they're pretty much all good .

8. sssingo

sssingo Member

700r4

Great - thanks again for the heads up. Will let you know how I get on.

9. 50 chevy 3100

50 chevy 3100 Member

i have air ride (lay frame) on m 50 pickup and she has a sbc with a 350t and is all good and tucked away nicely, i also have a beecool ally rad on her too, keeps her cool and running right

hth

Matt

10. sssingo

sssingo Member

Cheers Matt. At that stage now

11. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Transmission

Welcome aboard !

I have just written a thread this week about installing the S10-T5 transmission with OD. if this is intresting have a peek. I know it fits the 350 chevy engine and people love it.What rearend cardan ratio does your car have?

Greatings from Norway Martinius.

12. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

Welcome to the forums. Looks like a pretty cool ride you have there. Looking forward to seeing more of it.

Damon

13. sssingo

sssingo Member

Its a donor rear end. We are going to get it up and running then see if the internals need swapping over. Cheers for comments guys

14. sssingo

sssingo Member

15. sssingo

sssingo Member

16. sssingo

sssingo Member

350SBC Engine Installed

Getting there. Just waiting for a front end bolt kit from Brothers truck before we can get her back together proper.

[​IMG]