Power Steering...REZ Engineering

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Stever1, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Stever1

Stever1 Member

Hello Everyone....new to the forum. I'm in the process of a frame up on a 66 chevy....rebuilt 250 and replaced the manual 3speed with a 350TH. I've got a laundry list of things I want to do, but nos.1 on my list is power steering. From what I read Rez Engineering has developed a kit that allows you to retrofit a power steering box to your truck. 1) does anyone have experience with this kit...and 2) How do I get in contact with REZ? Can't seem to find a website....All help much appreciated...

Steve

2. dvalentine

dvalentine Charter Member

RE: Power Steering...REZ Engineerin

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jan-18-06 AT 00:14 AM (CST)]I did mine a few years ago. The REZ adapter is the ONLY way to add power steering to the 60-66 truck.
    Why ? Well if safety is a concern the adapter places the steering box at the correct geometric angle and allows all 4 of the boxs mounting bolts to be used. The adapter also has a backing plate for inside the frame rail that eliminates the possibility of stress cracking through the box mount holes. ( stress cracking is a common problem even in later model factory P/S installations.)

The installation instructions are very complete. I do believe that our friends here at Chevy Duty carry the adapter. Give them a call on their toll free number. If not then call 406-727-9267. REZ does not have a web presence as of yet.

Here is an article from Custom Classic Trucks that details the installation.
    http://customclassictrucks.com/techarticles/84378/

DVal

3. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

DENNIS IS RIGHT, CHEVY DUTY DOES HAVE THE REZ KIT, ITS NOT UNDER THE NAME REZ, BUT THAT IS WHAT IT IS. I JUST FINISHED MY P/S PROJECT A FEW WEEKS AGO, IT WENT TOGETHER MUCH FASTER THEN I THOUGHT IT WOULD. PRINT OUT THOSE DIRECTIONS THAT DVALANINE POSTED FROM THE CUSTOM CLASSIC TRUCK WEB SITE. PRINT OUT EACH PICTURE IN FULL SIZE TO SO IT WILL BE EASIER TO SEE. THE REZ KIT COMES WITH DIRECTIONS BUT THE PICTURES ARE HARD TO SEE. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A 3/4 INCH (OR 1INCH, I CANT REMEMBER, THE DIRECTIONS WILL SAY) DRILL BIT AND A WELDER, ARC OR MIG, FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS EXACTLY AND YOU SHOULD HAVE IT ALL DONE IN ABOUT 3 HOURS. MAKE SURE YOU GET THE CORRECT YEAR OF P/S PUMP AND GEAR BECAUSE IT WILL BE NEXT TO IMPOSIBLE TO TRY TO ADAPT FROM OTHER YEARS. (THE DIRECTIONS WILL SAY WHAT YEARS) ALSO TRY TO GET THE P/S PUMP AND GEAR AND HOSES ALL FROM THE SAME DONOR VEHICLE AS THIS WILL MAKE YOUR INSTALL A SINCH.

GOOD LUCK AND LET US KNOW IF YOU RUN INTO ANY SNAGS.

66 KUSTOM

4. Stever1

Stever1 Member

Thanks to all for the valued feedback....I will keep you posted on my success..maybe with a few pics...Steve

5. drabo

drabo Member

Just buy the bracket then get the other parts for the local parts store. I used an early 80's box and pump. You can get the bracket either at the junk yard or aftermarket. Use a holesaw to put a hole into the side of the inner fender. Install a rubber gromet into the hole. I just eye balled the hoses and bought the one that looked like it would work. This process took a couple of trips to the part store to get it perfect. I had to also find a three groove crank pulley to run the pump and A/C. Good luck