Remove Tank and Dis Brakes

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by steve, Nov 22, 2012.

1. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

Brakes

Looks good. How do the brakes work compared to the old stock brakes?
    Right now I have stock brakes and stopping real quick is not an option. Disc brakes have a lot more stopping power, my other truck has front disc brakes and it makes a huge difference.
    Your pics and your notes make a great instructional for others to follow.

Gerald in Florida

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Looking Good !

You've really made nice progress there .

That old VW brake fluid resivoir pops up every where ~ I began suggesting it in 1970 and back then everyone said " EW ! I'm not putting any VW trash on my Hot Rod ! " .

Now , it's de riguer :p .

3. steve

steve Member

Brakes

Cameo, 58Pache,

Thanks for the comments, the brakes from the original (I had good original to start with) needed to press down on the pedal, not hard but the truck came to a stop. Like when your pulling a trailer you always need that extra space.

Well with the front disc, the pedal feels just like a new modern truck. Good pedal little effort and the truck stops. I would estimate in haft the distance with the feel of more control. I haven't jump on them just yet, to lock them up, but will soon enough.

Nate, your right those VW parts show up everywhere, I once had a Ford 450 and had a VW 68 bug hanging from the rearview mirror. lol :p

Guys thanks for the support, and this site provided much support.

4. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Brakes

FWIW ;

My '69 C/10 has the original 2" Bendix brakes ,I added a stock power brake booster and Lo ! they now stop on a dime with very little pedal effort .

Unless you're towing you really do not need to up grade to disc brakes . I know they're great and all but most folks don't have the $ just lying around , it's far cheaper and easier to up grade to a vacuum booster .

FWIW , I like most , drive my truck unladen 90 % of the time ~ unlike most , I also drive itimprudently fast , especially when in the Mountains and Canyons where good brraking is paramount so I know a thing or three about safe braking , brake fade etc. .

I'm just pointing out there's different ways to go here , I'd rather rebuild my engine or get fancy paint than $pend lolly on unecessary disc brake upgrades .

5. steve

steve Member

Right On

Nate,

Once again, simple mods are better. Your right if I would have through it out better, I would have just added power brakes to the original drums (front and rear) with a duel master cylinder for safety. And I think I would still use a remote reservoir. Thanks....

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Brakes & Steering

You might be surprised at how often folks $pend serious lolly on the shiny bits and ignore the basics , I see it all the time , mostly in young folks rides .

Is it acceptable to mount the master cylinder & booster on the firewall ? or too darn ugly ? .

A properly built braking system NEVER needs brake fluid so the under floor thing shouldn't be any hassle as you only need open it once a year when it's time for the annual brake fluid flush .