Newbie saying hello

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by RustyDog, Oct 17, 2013.

1. RustyDog

RustyDog Member

Just registered and wanted to say hello. I have a 1 ton Chevy panel truck, titled as a 1948, but no vin tag to confirm the actual year. The engine has been replaced with a '56 235ci with a 4 speed. The doors have vent windows and aftermarket side mirrors, but all of the paint seems to match up. It is possible that the doors were swapped ages ago and the entire vehicle repainted, but I would guess it would have been very early in it's life.
    I am currently stripping it to have it blasted and then start the rebuild process. I have found this forum to be very helpful and full of knowledge. Perhaps I should have read it before making my purchase, but I have already jumped in and I refuse to quit now.

2. ccharr

ccharr Member

Welcome aboard enjoy the ride while here. Got any photos of the before?

3. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Does it have the cowl vent in the driver cowl panel? If not, it is probably a 51/ up that someone titled as a 48 to get into Street rod shows with a pre 48 cutoff......or they bought a title as a 48.

Send pictures.

4. RustyDog

RustyDog Member

Just uploaded 5 pics of when I got it. It came with an extra set of rear doors, as the ones that are on it have the bottom pretty much rusted thru. Could be from the same donor vehicle as the cab doors as the paint is almost identical on them as well. I do have a cowl vent on the drivers side. and just louvers on the passenger side. They added a passenger seat at some point as it is obvious they drilled the holes for it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  5. Zig

Zig Member

Awesome!

Wow! The possibilities!
    WELCOME, BTW!
    It looks like you already have someone who has ideas on how that should be painted~ :cool:
    Thanks for posting pictures, the body looks pretty straight with the exception of the usual crease here and there. Lots of ways you can go with that, and lots of people here that can help you on the way!
    When you get a chance, I'm sure lots of us here would love to see what the inside looks like.

6. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

It probably is a 48. The doors are 52 up push button handles.

Careful, you look to have vandals in the neighborhood......I see you caught one of them.

7. RustyDog

RustyDog Member

Thanks guys. Nice to see that sarcastic humor is alive and well:)
    I am adding some of the interior pics.
    So far I have had to heat, cut or break every nut bolt and screw that I have taken off. Ah the joys... Thought you might enjoy the photo of the trans shifter gasket with gravel molted into it.

Attached Files:

8. Larrys 48

Larrys 48 Member

Nut cracking

So far I have had to heat, cut or break every nut bolt and screw that I have taken off.

PB Blaster will become your friend...

9. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Just PB Blaster the whole damn thing once a day for at least a week. I also find that colorful language helps on hardware with an attitude. Sometimes I even hybridize some new words if the situation calls for it.

10. My51

My51 Member

49 Panel

One of these just went at local auction for $950 bucks with hardly any rust. So depressed the wife wouldn't let me get it.

11. My51

My51 Member

photos

Here is the K-bid 49 panel

Attached Files:

12. RustyDog

RustyDog Member

Nut cracking
    So far I have had to heat, cut or break every nut bolt and screw that I have taken off.

PB Blaster will become your friend...
    Larry For a moment there, I thought you might be a sales rep for PB Blaster. I just figured all those rust penetrating sprays were pretty much the same. I bought some PB and soaked everything last night. You forgot to mention the toxic fumes!!!! I had the garage open with the fan blowing most of the evening and everyone still ended up with massive headaches. I haven't hooked any wrenches on them yet, but you can actually see the rust wash right off. (not exactly, but more so than anything else I have used) Won't have any time to play with it this weekend, so hopefully early in the week I can see if it really works on road tar and gravel:)

PS Larry, I too have a 48, and the type of parents who named me Larry.

13. RustyDog

RustyDog Member

Nice:) I have similar tactics.

14. 1952

1952 Member

Just a bit of advice BAG AND TAG all of the nuts bolts etc . Write on the Ziploc bag with a felt pen what it is and where it goes even if broken or in pieces.
    This will save a lot of head scratching later also if you have a digital camera take photos close up of everything so you can go back later for possible assembly procedure. Hey we are all getting older and what looks straight forward when disassembly usually you have a brain fart a year or two later lol have fun and no wrench throwing allowed

15. RustyDog

RustyDog Member

Definitely understand the need for lots of pictures and saving all the nuts and bolts in labeled bags. I have worked on a few projects before, but this is my first solo trip. I am trying to stay close to original as I can, with some minor changes along the way. I recently visited the Southeast Nationals Car Show and was disappointed that not one of these old tanks had a 6 banger:( Guess everyone wants that hotrod effect. I have no aspirations to cruise the Hot Rod Power Tour. The 235 is not original, but it is close, and I love the 4 speed. Lets see how I feel after driving it for a while? Definitely plan on adding AC this is Florida after all. I have a friend who does interiors, and I am leaning towards a fully finished cargo area instead of the cardboard sides and the vinyl strip on the roof. As for the body, I was thinking about the bare metal look with a clear sealer. I know a lot of you think it is "ugly", but so am I and my wife still loves me, so there is hope. I like for my stuff to be a little different, is that too much to ask?

16. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Welcome rusty !

I like your truck , it's nice in fact , pretty good for a 50 year old beat to crap work truck .

P-B Blaster is good stuff , Kroil is even better , Kano Labs in Tenn. sells it .

Remember to spray well then tap the fastener so the harmonic shock helps to wick the penetrant into the rusty threads ~ sometime tightening it a *skosh* (Technical Term there) before undoing helps loosen things up too .

Remember this most important fact : YOU saved this rig and are footing the bill so however you like it , is correct .

Lastly , the gravel 'round the shifter & park brake is from the original foam seals fitted between the floor plates and tranny / park brake .

17. RustyDog

RustyDog Member

So, what you are telling me, is that gravel is normal:))
    Does Kroil have toxic fumes like PB?

18. coonkka

coonkka Member

Sweet Ride,,, That ones gonna be a beauty..

19. RustyDog

RustyDog Member

20. Zig

Zig Member

I dunno~ that was pretty cool~ (or was it the music...) ;)