Firewall holes for brackets to fenders

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Ricos54, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Ricos54

Ricos54 Member

The 4 holes in the middle of the firewall, there's 2 brackets from the firewall to the fenders. I'm wondering if welding them was the wrong thing to do? I've had 2 people one that builds these trucks and another that built his own truck that said I don't need them so I welded them up. Now I'm wondering if I will be ok doing that?
    So far one person said
    What are others doing? I started bonding the firewall, Ineed to know if I will be ok. Thanks

2. coralhead

coralhead Member

I've heard of others getting rid of the cross supports when they interfere with a v-8 conversion but they are really needed to help align the fenders and to keep the flexing of the fenders from cracking the mounting tabs. I would open those 4 holes back up and use the brace rods. Is this still on a stock frame?

3. Ricos54

Ricos54 Member

Yes I'm using the stock frame. I wonder how others are doing it when they are not using those braces?
    Funny thing is 20 years ago I had a 49 Chevy Truck and it didn't have those braces in that truck. I had a pump up 350 with a 350 turbo and a 4.11 posi in the back. Boy I missed that truck.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  4. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

If you get the sheetmetal lined up and manage to hold it in place while you tighten all of the bolts, you may be able to do without.

5. Ricos54

Ricos54 Member

Thank you, I went ahead and drilled them out just in case I need them. I was told by a friend if I don't use them I can use little plugs and they will look like rivets. So problem solved.

Thanks for the reply's. For now on I will come here to make sure I'm not making more work for myself.

Rico:)