Carb adjustment help please

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GMC Pickups Talk' started by taylormade85k10, Jun 9, 2005.

1. taylormade85k10

taylormade85k10 Member

}> I have an 305 with factory q-jet carb on my 85 K10. Where is a good starting point for adjustments on the front of the carb...The truck runs fine ( burns alot of fuel ). I feel like it is loading up ...I smell gas after its parked for a short time... How difficukt is it to rebuild ?

2. 56bassman

56bassman Member

Hope this helps. I had a 85 at one point, had the same symptoms...you might want to check the vapor canistor. They've been known to plug and suck gas from the tank. It will make it use alot of gas. If you have adjustment screws in the front of the carb go buy yourself a vaccumm gage...put it on the lowest vaccumm source on the carb. Turn the screws to get the highest reading,14-18hg. If the idle goes higher you'll have to reset the idle to 750rpm. what will hapen is if the idle goes too high it will pull fuel out of the mainwell leaving you with no adjustment at the screws. Remember the screws are for IDLE only. As soon as the butterflys are open the fuel is pulled out of the main wells. Good luck, Ed

3. taylormade85k10

taylormade85k10 Member

I found the adjustments in my chilton manual..the screws should have been 3 turns out each...I had one that was about 3 and the other 1 1/2..the idle has now leveled out..My smog stuff isn't hooked up anymore but the canister is still connected to the carb...should I disconnect it as well ?