283 powerglide conversion

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by trucktony, Oct 13, 2013.

1. trucktony

trucktony Member

Hello.
    I bought a 1958 belair 283 v8 with a powerglide transmission.
    I want to build this in my 58 chevy truck.
    Does anyone know if this will be a fit conversion?
    There will be a new motor/transmount to tackel the torque problem.
    But is it neccesary to hack out the rear motor mount that's on the frame?
    When I use a th350 I always have some room issues,just between the transoilpan and the converter.
    Because of the bigger hei distr. I always want to slide the engine a little foreward and end up with lenghtening my propellershaft and having problems with the motormount/transmission.
    As the powerglide has no oilpan maybe it will fit right in?
    My biggest thing is I want to keep the stiffness of the frame and not cut the motomount
    Can anyone tell me how to go with this one
    I want to figure this out before I go cutting things that are not neccesary

2. steve

steve Member

Some Info

The link provides transmission dimensions; http://www.tciauto.com/tc/trans-dim/

On my 1959 Apache I removed the 235 and place a 250 with a power glide, used two full length cross members, the ones our host sells, one engine and one for the transmission. Placement was where I can reused my existing drive shaft but the yoke was different, (still a short yoke) and did not need to cut any exiting original cross frame supports (existing transmission supports).

I replace the 250 and power glide, with a 350 and 200 r4. I used independent motor mounts (not connected to each other) and moved the engine forward (approximately 4 inches) and for the transmission cross brace used a 3/4 steel square tube. The mounts supporting the 250 and PG were removed. If a standard oil pan for the transmission is used then no modification should be needed. I hope this helps. The 200 R4 is the same size as the 350 transmission, is lighter them the 700R4 and 350, without any electronics need for the 700 r4.

3. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

Mounts

I too used the hosts mounts for the motor and tranny. When I got the truck the previous owner had made his own motor mounts and used a tranny mount from a junk yard. The motor mounts he made were individual for each side. Problem was one was 2 inches lower than the other where he had a small block in it. Didn't take long with a torch to remove them. The hosts mounts worked great, they allow you to place the engine where you want it. I installed a 350 with the HEI with no problem. The tranny mount was too long but after sawing off the excess it works just fine. The tranny pad fits my 350 turbo and your power glide. I did have to saw off one corner to match the 350 turbo. I bolted in the tranny mount because it makes it easier to remove the tranny it ever needs removing.
    The engine and tranny have been in the truck for over 7,000 miles now with no problems and I recommend them.
    Oh yeah, if you use the hosts mounts you will need to use their motor mounts on the engine block.
    Good luck
    Gerald in Florida

4. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

You shouldn't consider more than two support locations for the engine/transmission combo when the transmission is ridged mounted to the motor. If you use 3 support locations (2 front, 1 @ bellhousing and 1 @ tail housing) the flexing of the frame will break something... likely the bellhousing or the tail housing bolting ears.

You could modify the existing bell housing mount by torch cutting it so it no longer supports the motor, but such that there is enough clearance to leave it in place.

Flexibility is a good thing.... Hope that helps.

5. trucktony

trucktony Member

Thanks for all the answers I got on my questions.
    This week it's gone happen.
    The old engine going out and the new 58 bel air 283 with powerglide goes in
    I keep my fingers crossed that it will be an easy fit
    I did it earlier to my 58 panel truck
    With a 350/350 combo
    But I had to saw the transmission crossmember out.
    I had the intension to put in my zz4 engine with a th400 modified trans.
    Think it's to wild to cruise then.
    So the good old 283 has to do the trick

some pic's from the cutout crossmember

Attached Files:

6. trucktony

trucktony Member

some pic's of the 58 bel air engine

Attached Files:

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

??

You're going to scrap a Dual Hydromatic for a Power Glide ? .

8. Arthur/K

Arthur/K Member

235 4 speed to 283/PG swap

I am swapping my 235 4speed with a 283 / PG out of a 1964 chevy car to my 1959 Apache. Is this going to be an easy swap? What are things I need to look for.

9. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

Tranny cooling

Does your radiator have an automatic tranny cooler? If not, and even if it does I recommend a rail cooler, It is just a small radiator that goes on your frame just opposite your tranny. It comes with hoses and fittings and is not hard to add to your truck. Plus you don't have those ugly tranny lines going all the way up to your radiator. Good luck with your swap.

10. Arthur/K

Arthur/K Member

235/283 swap

Sound like a good idea on the trans. cooler . Does our hosts have the rail cooler or where can I find one?

11. VELCRO

VELCRO Member

Rail cooler

Mine came from Summit Racing

12. Arthur/K

Arthur/K Member

Rail Cooler

Sounds like a plan Thanks !