headlight switch

Discussion in '1955-1959' started by chevyhed53, Dec 13, 2011.

1. chevyhed53

chevyhed53 Member

I have a new headlamp switch for the '56-'59 truck on the way. I have an aftermarket Haywire wiring setup. Looking for some guidance on proper hookup. I have two ground wires--I'm assuming one is for the taillamps and the other for headlamps and instrument panel. Both attach to the same ground terminal? And assume dimmer switch wire goes to the H terminal? Any guidance or diagram is appreciated. Thanks

2. willie1957

willie1957 Member

I'm attaching a pic of the wires to my headlight switch. The yellow wire that you see is for headlight power. I'm thinking that terminal is the "H" terminal but don't see any markings. The brown wire just below the yellow is for the park lights. The blue wire below that is the dimmer power wire. The brown wire beyond the blue wire is for the tail lights. The terminal above that is going to the dome light. The three wires clustered together on the lower left are the dash lights. A wire that you can't see in the pic but at the far lower right of the switch is the dome return, also a ground. The body of the switch grounds when secured to the dash.

I hope this helps rather than confuses.

Attached Files:

3. chevyhed53

chevyhed53 Member

Thanks so much! This is very helpful!

4. 56GMC100

56GMC100 Member

According to my shop manual the H spade connection is for your dimmer switch

5. smfulle

smfulle Member

Just FYI. My 59 has halogen headlights in the High Beam while the low beams are still the old conventional headlights. Every time I switched to high beam the lights would stay on for a few seconds then flicker off. I talked to the the tech support at our host and he told me that halogen headlights draw too many amps for the stock re-pop switch and that I should run a relay so that only low amps run through the switch. Installed the realy and high beams work great.

6. garrison

garrison Member

always on high?

I just got my truck back from having some work done. One of the things they did was replace the headlight switch because my dome light didn't work. Now the headlights stay on high beam and I can't dim them?!! And the shop is closed until Tuesday. Can anyone tell me how to remedy this? I assume it's not too hard, but have no idea what to do.