Battery

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by oldbluetruck, Nov 25, 2013.

1. oldbluetruck

oldbluetruck Member

I put a rubber floor mat in my 48 3100. How do I get to the battery if I button down the passenger side? I have a shutoff on the battery.

Thanks

2. skalywag

skalywag Member

I also use a rubber floor mat with the rag looking pad underneath. I did not clamp it down at the areas adjacent to the doors or along the seat frame. I simple flip the corner over to gain access to the battery box lid. I also use one of those green knobed cut-off devices, so I do this every time I get my truck out for a drive. It is kind of a ritual now that I think about it.
    The mat stays put pretty much by it's self due to it's weight and stiffness.
    I do wonder about the original factory design where the door sill has to be loosened to gain access to the battery compartment. I have seen the occasional mod where it is placed on the firewall, but what I have seems to work.
    Cheers

3. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

maybe a battery drop box pull battery out of cab from the bottom .and keep mat in place.

4. oldbluetruck

oldbluetruck Member

I have the same battery cutoff. I am thinking of bending the side metal strip up so the rubber mat can be tucked under, but is not clamped down. I like to disconnect the battery when it is parked in public sometimes also. This gives me a somewhat feeling of safety. It's better than taking a wheel off :D

5. coilover

coilover Member

Instead of using the battery post mounted cutoff use one that mounts anywhere. Many with AD's mount this switch just in front of the seat riser on the passenger side. A short cable from battery to one side of switch and another short cable from the other side to the starter does the job. With longer cables the switch can be firewall mounted or anywhere else. The floor mat stays in place.

6. RustyDog

RustyDog Member

Do you know of a manufacture for this? I was thinking about fabricating one, but if they already exist, it might be an easy bolt in (weld) project.

7. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

8. Guest5979

Guest5979 Guest

battery tray

BROTHERS TRUCKS.COM
    called a drop down battery tray have to call for price the catalog i have its$189

9. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

10. RustyDog

RustyDog Member

Thanks for the links guys.

11. coilover

coilover Member

Speedway #'s 91064500, 91064501, 91064502. Price $11 to $25.
    Here's what we have put in a number of cars/trucks to protect against battery drain and it also kills the entire system. Mount a Standard Bluestreak # SS597T continuous duty solenoid in the positive battery cable. Also from the positive battery post run a wire to a toggle or key switch and from the other side of the switch a wire back to the terminal that activates the solenoid. When the switch is off the ONLY hot wire in the entire vehicle is the one from the battery to the switch; everything else is dead till the switch is flipped. This is a nice set up because a small switch can be mounted (hidden) anywhere and it only has 14g wire instead of heavy battery cables.

12. oldbluetruck

oldbluetruck Member

Hi Evan. Thanks, I am trying to visualize your setup and it's application on my truck.

Two wires come from the battery. One to starter and one to the truck electrical setup? The speedway cutoff is in line so when it is turned off the starter receives no power? But that truck has power?

How am I doing?

Thanks again