New 1954 gmc 100 owner

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by sberman, Dec 1, 2013.

1. sberman

sberman Member

Hi im scott from cali I traded my t bucket for a barn find truck it runs but would like to to do a engine swap on it. Would a s10 rear end work from a 4x4 just as i have 2 first thing is to make it 12 volt

2. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

Hi Scott,

Welcome to the forums!! Can you post photos of your new acquisition? We really like photos.... hint, hint.

The 4X4 S-10 rear axle swap is very popular on these trucks. I am doing it on my project truck. I believe you may need some wheels spacers to get the dimensions exact, but it's a pretty straight-forward swap.

Is the engine swap necessary due to the original engine being in poor condition? Or do you just wanna do something fun and different with your ride? I'm sticking with a straight-six engine, but mating it to a five-speed stick-shift out of an S-10, which is also a popular swap. Having overdrive and the shorter rear-end gearing greatly improves the highway drive-ability for these old work horses.

Please visit this link for a BUNCH of great "How To" tips on repairing and modifying these trucks. Russ (ol' chebby) did a fantastic job documenting a rebuild.

https://talk.classicparts.com/showthread.php?t=9530

Looking forward to learning more about you and your project. Keep us posted with updates... and photos. :D

Damon

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  3. sberman

sberman Member

Hope this works

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

4. sberman

sberman Member

Ok so thats my starting point It runs good with the 6 it has the hydromatic in it i do alot of highway driving and would like more power for that

5. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

Excellent job on posting the photo, Scott... it looks like you have an excellent project truck!

Damon

6. Zig

Zig Member

YaaaaaaaHOOOO~~~~ Another GMC on this here site!

Seriously, Scott, that looks like one nice beginnings. Thanks for the photo, but more would be even better! You know~ insides, under the hood, front/rear shots, etc.

Welcome aboard! Before you yank the 6, what size is it? 228 or bigger?

7. sberman

sberman Member

Ok here u go
    Front
    [​IMG]
    Back
    [​IMG]

8. sberman

sberman Member

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

9. sberman

sberman Member

Not letting me post more pics

It is the 248 with the hydromatic ---- i changed the plugs points today. What a difference runs smooth with lots of power. Still need to get all the lights working before i drive to much more

10. RidesWithYah

RidesWithYah Member

Welcome.
    Beautiful truck...

Think long and hard before you pull that good-running engine.
    I'm not saying don't do it,
    I'm just saying think it through first to make sure it's what you want.
    They already mentioned the trans and rear swaps that are available -
    check out Patrick's for the go-fast goodies you can add to the 6,
    rather than being just another belly-button (everybody's got one) V8.

You'll have to scroll down, but don't miss the section on GMC engine parts...
    http://www.patricksantiquecars.com/chevy_parts.html

11. sberman

sberman Member

I know what your saying is there a way to keep the six and still change to a open driveline Right now the lights are a pain i think first thing is do thev12 volt change and get it all working then decide

12. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

Scott,

Yes, you can keep the six and switch to an open drive line. I chose a late 1950's Chevy 235 inline-sic for my project to go along with the T-5 manual transmission I mentioned. The transmission mates up to the old six-banger via slight modifications to the transmission, or, using a spacer plate available from a number of vendors. I chose the second option. That will make my drive line:

Chevy 235 inline - T-5 manual trans ------------------ 4X4 S-10 rear end

I've been told the S-10 drive shaft should work without modification, but I've yet to reach that point on my project.

If you're wanting to stick with an automatic transmission and switch to the open drive line, I'm sure there are options... I'm just not sure what they are. I'm certain someone here will chime in and let you know.

Damon

13. sberman

sberman Member

Sounds good. I would like to keep the automatic i already have a s10 4x4 rearend i also have a turbo 400 and a 350 motor if needed but keeping the six sounds good

14. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

I had to shorten the S10 driveshaft about 6" on the 53.

15. GrandpaGlenn0

GrandpaGlenn0 Member

Before you change to 12 v check all the grounds in the system--lots of the problems are the result of faulty grounds.

16. sberman

sberman Member

i thought having it be 12 volt just makes things easier
    really the only things not working ate the lights and turn signals and im not sure if the gas gauge is correct also the speedometer jumps all over

17. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Grandpa Glenno is right about the grounding problems. As these old trucks age, and rust, the body parts sometimes don't make proper electrical connection. Try running a ground wire from a cleaned metal part of the headlight bucket to the radiator support assembly for the headlights. Same kind of problems with tail/stop/ and turn signals. If you're familiar with use of a test light, connect the clamp part of the tester to a good ground point on the chassis. Poke the connector of the light you're testing (with lights on), and if the test light lights up like that, then the problem with the lamp is almost certainly a ground issue. Jumping speedometer is usually either the cable drive, (which will need lubrication), or the speedometer head, (harder to fix).

18. sberman

sberman Member

Thanks for the tips. Ill try this w/e and see what happens

19. ccharr

ccharr Member

Welcome aboard enjoy the ride while here. Good to see more Ad's from Ventura County.

20. coonkka

coonkka Member

Oh Yeah another GMC love in it.. I kept the ole motor in mine and it runs like a champ. In the process of getting mine back together. Spring time should be about the right time to have her on the road. I can't wait. You must be excited.. Keep the pics coming as the Guys said we do like pictures.