Electrical question

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by sberman, Dec 24, 2013.

1. sberman

sberman Member

I did the 12 volt change on my 54 gmc runs and stars but the battery is real low in the morning i tested to see if it is charging when running that is good how can i find what might be draining it

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Battery Drain

First , charge it well and leave parked overnight with the ground cable un done and tucked down behind the battery ~

In the morning go see if it cranks fast & starts easily before sunup . if so , the battery is fine , you need to use a test lamp between the ground cable and battery post to see if it glows a little bit , indicating a current leak .

If it cranks slowly , the battery is kaput even if it's brandy new .

Report back here and we'll walk you through it , it's usually *very* simple and easy to fix .

3. sberman

sberman Member

Will do
    Thanks

4. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

When running, the Alternator/Generator should be charging at 13.7 to 14.3 volts. If this is within range, try disconnecting the battery overnight and check battery voltage first thing before hooking up battery in the morning. If the battery has 12 volts disconnected, hook up the ground (Negative) side of battery. Use a multi-meter, set on DC Amps, and hook it between pos. cable and pos. terminal on battery. See if there is current flow, with everything off. ( if you use a test light here, it will glow in varying intensity, depending on the amount of current draw. In any case, it will not burn brighter than full intensity). If you indicate current draw, try disconnecting things you might suspect, one at a time, until the current drops to "0". Try disconnecting the Alternator first, as they have a number of diodes in them and are subject to 'leaking' current. Hope this helps. Others here may chime in with more or better advice :)

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Current Draw

If you used an alternator or installed any sound system , disconnect their wires and tape carefully then re test for the current draw ~ often the test lamp barely lights up .

99 % of the time , the exciter wire for the alternator is the culprit .

Amps too , draw current when not in use .

This is why the smart Hot Rodder uses those cute little cube relays to power everything so when the key is off , no current goes anywhere .

6. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

I see Nate posted help, while I was composing my post. Similar advice. Thanks Nate.;)

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Yer WELCOME !

Just please to remember : my advice is free and worth maybe 1/4 the price paid.....

8. sberman

sberman Member

I got the exciter wire on the key switch is there a better place to put it ( bad way to phrase that)

9. Mtneermike

Mtneermike Member

exciter wire

the alternater exciter wire MUST have a one way diode or it will discharge the battery with the switch in the off position.

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Nailed It

Yes and no ~ first : disconnect the exciter wire and see if the battery remains charged over night .

If so , contact Randy Rundle @ 5th Avenue Auto Parts and tell him Nate says you need the diode thing , he'll need to know *exactly* which alternator you're using and will send you a thing to fix this .

If that's not it , congratulations ! you've eliminated one thing .

See ? I tolja it'd be easy :p .

11. sberman

sberman Member

Ok so with exciter wire disconnected reconnected and it started. So now i ran for a bit im going to leave the exciter wire connected and see what happens if it does not start ill order the diode thingy

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Well ;

You have to follow the instructions completely , not what you've posted here .

13. sberman

sberman Member

Ok. Ill order the diode thingy then
    Thank u sir