Which year and model is my frame !?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by thecramp, Jan 3, 2014.

1. thecramp

thecramp Member

Hi,
    I need to change all my bushing on my 1950 chevy and the frame is not the original one, my engine is about 75 or 76, so i suppose my frame is Malibu or nova, or monza, i'd like to know is somebody know where i can find the number on the frame to find the exact year !? frame are very similar but the bushing are not the same depend of the year !

Thanks kind regards.

John

2. SinclairChevy

SinclairChevy Member

Do you have any photos of the frame?

Damon

3. thecramp

thecramp Member

Hi damon,
    Nop i only have few pict from under but we can't see the frame, the car is working so ... i never saw only th frame very similar as chevelle, but ...

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  4. thecramp

thecramp Member

it's all i have :-( i don't know if it can help

Attached Files:

5. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Can't help on the frame info... But that sure is a nice Yellow Truck. Wish I had one like that :)

6. coilover

coilover Member

Is it on a whole frame or just a front clip. If a whole frame you can eliminate Nova and Monza since they were unibodies and didn't have frames, just a subframe from the firewall forward. If a subframe the stearing box on a Nova was behind the crossmember till 1975. Your best bet if the rear end is from the same vehicle as the front is to get the code stamped into the top of the axle housing tube and have someone with a Hollander interchange find what it came in. The factory VIN number was stamped into the top of the left frame rail usually between the upper A-frame and firewall. Casting numbers on a caliper, rotor, or rear wheel cylinder will sometimes help. Rotor diameter, disc pad, and spindle sizes are just good for ballpark because GM spread brake use over many models. A parts store that's worth a flip will match up to an old part you bring in. Avoid the national chains; Auto Zone, O'Reilly, NAPA, Advance, etc since if you hand them your old part it will be the first car part other than a key that they have ever touched. Find a store the race crowd uses or has race people behind the counter who can actually name the part you hand them.

7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Suspension Parts

What Even said plus ,

Look around to see if there's a " BEAR " frame & alignment shop and ask them , they'll prolly recognize the suspension at a glance .

Think very hard about using polyurethane bushings wherever possible , especially in that nice sway bar .

I use Prothane brand , they're usually cheaper than the stock way too soft rubber bushings and will outlast you as well as improve ride and handling more than you can imagine .

8. thecramp

thecramp Member

Hi
    Thnaks for help,

I looked, and it's a whole frame it goes from front to back of the car, :-( so not a nova neither monza !
    i'll try to see if i find factory VIN, i already looked and didn't find, but i'll try again !

My problem is that i'm in south of france and nobody know US cars, so i'm alone, nobody can help to recognize suspension. For the bushing yes i'll absolutely buy polyurethane i was looking for energy or prothane :)
    BUT i need first to find which size i need :-(, sway bar is easy to find because i measure and it's ok but the other like end link grrrr … !!

9. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Maybe metric GM, Monte Carlo?

10. thecramp

thecramp Member

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  11. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Regal,maybe? Look at gm midsize cars of that era. Many had full perimeter frames. Not Camaro, nova, etc.

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

! Vin !

Begin cleaning the horizontal top portion oif the frame from the left front frame horn back to the tranny cross member ~ when you find the stamped in VIN , have it decoded by your insurance agent or OnLine , then you'll know exactly what year & model to use when searching parts .

As far as ball joints I highly suggest you stick with Moog or TRW brands , the Chinese stuff fits and looks O.K. but tends to wear ot in less than 20,000 miles of average service .

If you don't find the VIN in the first search , clean the entire top side of the frame as it's there somewhere .