Original armrest picture

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by ronaldg, Dec 28, 2013.

1. ronaldg

ronaldg Member

Does anybody have a pic of an original armrest for the 47 to 53 pickup please and thanks.

2. Ben@CPOA/TECH

Ben@CPOA/TECH Member

Originals are hard to find, especially nice ones

Attached Files:

3. ronaldg

ronaldg Member

Originals?

those look exactly like the gm 1947 sedan armrests.

4. ronaldg

ronaldg Member

Originals?

Could you post the flip side of them please and thanks for the help.

5. Ben@CPOA/TECH

Ben@CPOA/TECH Member

I found these on an ebay listing

Attached Files:

6. ronaldg

ronaldg Member

Originals do the holes line up ?

Yeh i bought the same ones and i am in the process of recovering them and sandblasting the bottom plate and painting them then making a adaptor plate so they will line up. do the holes line up on yours or are they off a little?

7. Ben@CPOA/TECH

Ben@CPOA/TECH Member

to be honest, these aren't mine, and I personally haven't worked on a 47-53. But I know lots of people use the aftermarket ones we sell at http://www.classicparts.com/ and are satisfied with the quality and ease of installation.

8. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

Once again......
    More reliable & informed technical info. than you will ever find from any of the dummies over on the SBP :eek:

The Chevy standard car arm rests pictured earlier don't adapt to the trucks very well as the mounting screws are set at a 45 degree angle which makes it hard to mount them flush to the door without having a screw protruding on the insde of the door which prevents the windows from being rolled up or down.

[​IMG]

Original truck armrest pictured here....

[​IMG]

The original's don't hold up because the lower part used to mount it to the door is made of bake o lite plastic..... the reproduction arm rests are made even more cheaply & every one we ever installed has broken off in short order.

We have found that the 1949-1952 Plymouth & Dodge car armrests are almost identical to the trucks but.... they use a stamped steel mount & will never break off.... & they have a stylish stainless trim on them to boot.
    The mounting holes even line up with the arm rest holes already drilled in the AD truck doors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now.... if you want to get real fancy.... you can use the 1949-1952 Chevy car deluxe car arm rests.... these are made of steel... they have the stainless trim & they even have a cool ash tray built in to them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  9. ronaldg

ronaldg Member

arm rests

Hey joe I am going to try to make the 47 gm sedan arm rests that you seen me with at the swap meet work by making an adaptor plate for them I will post pics later when i finish

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Arm Rest

I havn't smoked in decades but I'd be zipping a check off to Joe RIGHT NOW if I needed them ~ those rear ones with ash trays are just too cool ! .

I got lucky , the Chinese repop arm rests I bought way back when first I bought my '49 , looked & fit great and never broke .

The steel backed Chrysler Corp. ones look very good too .

11. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

Yea I remember talking about those arm rests with you at the Phoenix swapmeet & I kept saying to myself.....
    " He ain't gonna get those to fit his truck ".

I am still waiting on you to post the pictures of how you adapted them to fit your truck.

12. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Better AD Armrests

Recently I was in an older junkyard that had 6 old '49 ~ '52 Chrysler products so I thought I'd check out these metal base arm rests Joe mentioned ~ ALL of them had been removed so I guess it's no secret .

13. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

I'm anticipating that after installing my Trique latches, my armrests will last forever, 'cause then no one will have to SLAM the doors! Does that sound about right, Russ?
    Then I'll help the other Bill (Hanlon) do his doors!

14. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Now you have to tell them NOT to slam the doors!

15. ronaldg

ronaldg Member

Arm rest pics

Here's pics of reupholstered arm rests more pics of installed later

Attached Files:

16. ronaldg

ronaldg Member

pics

have more pics but having trouble posting them sorry

17. ronaldg

ronaldg Member

armrest photo

sorry having trouble sending photos heres another one at a time:confused:

Attached Files:

18. coilover

coilover Member

It looks like it would be a very simple casting out of aluminum. I'm sure I could make one out of a billet in the five axis mill but the cost would be too high. I'm not in the parts selling end of this hobby but do have connections to pattern makers and a foundry if anyone would want to test the market. One almost has to make parts when cars like a 1934 Auburn, 1938 Studebaker President, and a 1940 LaSalle are waiting in line. Chevy's, Fords, and Plymouths, are like a vacation as far as parts finding is concerned.