Seat?

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by CoachG, Jan 7, 2014.

1. CoachG

CoachG Member

What is the best option for a seat. Right now all I have is the old springs and frame.... Best to take it somewhere and have them remold foam and fix, or is there a better option???

2. Bilbo

Bilbo Member

Wife and I did mine...

Well, Here are a couple of pictures, but not much detail about how it's done. We used some canvas, about the same as blue jean fabric, and cut it 2 or 3 inches bigger than the surface area of the springs. Susan then stitched a big hem around the edge, and I put heavy twine as a drawstring. I then put the piece over the spring surface and pulled tight. We then cut a piece of 1 inch thick, hi density foam big enough to wrap around the spring surface far enough to protect the corners from wearing through, and put the Seat Cover we purchased from LMC, (sorry, Classic Parts) The seat cover was really hard to stretch properly, cause it was too cool. I think it would be much easier in hot weather. I'll probably re-stretch when it gets hotter. Hope this helps you with your decision. Bill B

Attached Files:

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Seat Trimming

What Bilbo said ~

First and foremost is the burlap or canvas covering the entire spring ! .

Then , go to Home Upholstery Supply place and buy the hard foam there , Auto Trimmers never have the truly hard foam .

I used to only use cotton batting over the burlap and no foam for better than ever seats but I no longer know where to get it .

4. CoachG

CoachG Member

Thanks

Thanks for the info! That helps.

5. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Whats wrong with a 5 gal. bucket?

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Good Support

LOL ! Russ , I just flashed on you on the Autocross track sliding off an inverted bucket........ :D .

Most folks don't realize that the seat being soft & puffy when you poke it , means it'll be very uncomfortable after 30 minutes driving .

The lateral support of your bum is really important to prevent leg pains .

Thus , gusseting the seating surface by covering with a sturdy sheet of burlap or canvas , it the first step in any seat recovering job .

7. Bill Hanlon

Bill Hanlon Member

Only works when driver's butt is 5 gallons or less.