Front Drop Coil Springs: 2" or 3" - '65 C10

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Lakeroadster, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Rich 5150 69

Rich 5150 69 Member

Porterhose I belive if you had ordered the 2.5 inch drop spindles with one inch drop springs ( and allow for settling )it would have put you right where you wanted to be, most everybody that wants a drop but not extreme goes this route as seen in Early classic Enterprises site http://www.earlyclassic.com/Tech.aspx?category=Stance+Photos

2. Porterhose

Porterhose Member

Currently I have 16" on the drivers side and 16-3/8" on the passenger side. The difference in height was explained by the springs not seating in the pockets.

New springs arrived, coils are much larger in diameter so they should ride nice. Don't know how soon and I will get them installed.

3. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

Thanks for posting Porterhouse!

So to sum this up...

So if we take the 16" dim and add 1-1/2" we get 17-1/2" for a 2" drop spring.

And Mark has 17" with a 1" drop spring.

I think what we are finding here is different drop rates based on different springs. Caveat Emptor?

I'd still like to know what you end up with Porterhouse, once you get the 3 inch drop springs in.

to be continued............................................................................................................

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  4. Porterhose

Porterhose Member

So I finally got the alignment wrapped up, with CPP's 3" drop springs the final measurement was 15" from center of hub to bottom of fender riding on P235/75R15 tires on 15x8 rims with 4" BS. Im happy with the stance and the ride.

Attached Files:

5. LEYLAND

LEYLAND Member

Your truck looks great with that stance. Good choice!

6. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

X2, looks good Porterhose!

With the 3" drop springs is the front suspension harsher, mushier or ??

7. Porterhose

Porterhose Member

Thanks. It rides nicer overall, less mushy, except for the big potholes, really jars the spine. I will play with the rear overload springs, right now its riding on the leaves, i could drop the rear another inch or so by swapping the mounts, that might help.

8. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member

When I first got my truck it had those overload springs, and they were about a 1/4" from touching. When the truck rear axle would see a bump it would launch your butt off the seat like a carnival ride. :eek:

Overload springs looked like these (not photo of my truck)
    [​IMG]

But on my truck they welded I-Beams cut in half as brackets :( (photo of my truck)
    [​IMG]

Gone...

[​IMG]

I did keep the brackets though at the trailing arms. Drilled a hole in it for a shackle, thought it would be a good tie down point in case I ever had to trailer the truck.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  9. Porterhose

Porterhose Member

I assumed they were all the same. Mine hit the top of the axle. There WAS about 2" between the pad and the axle. When i lowered the rear that 2" clearance went away. Ill try flipping the mount on the frame and see how much clearance i get

Attached Files:

10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Topic Drift : Over Load Springs

Thanx fellas ;

Did / do they make something like this for my '69 C/10 with rear coil springs ? .

I work it lightly but I always like having overloads as Chevy Light Duty Trucks are rather lightly sprung from new .

TIA ,

11. Lakeroadster

Lakeroadster Member