‘51 Chevy 6500 Chassis Swap

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Tx pilot, Mar 6, 2022.

?

Does she go to the Museum, or does she roll once again?

Poll closed Mar 13, 2022.
  1. Not worth it. Donate to the Museum...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Are you CRAZY? Get that back on the road!

66.7%
  3. Keep her original and get her running...

33.3%
  1. Tx pilot

Tx pilot Member

I NEED YOUR VOTES!

Ok.. so maybe this is not a '51. Someone else suggested '54 or early '55. I have been back and forth on what do do with this 6500. From what I’ve been able to research, there aren’t many of these left. I think I've found not more than 7 of them referenced on the web. Mind you, I've never done a swap, but it doesn't concern me a great deal. I've done the research and I can make it happen. I do suspect this one would have more challenges than say a 3100 swap given this is coming off a 2 ton.

Choices.....

I've got a museum that will take this as-is. I've also got several people suggesting we do a chassis swap and do something special with this cab... I need a tie-breaker.

So, if you're reading this.. you get to decide... The most votes decides the outcome.

Based on your expertise and knowledge in these things... What would you do?

VOTE PLEASE.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
    vwnate1 likes this.
  2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

What a beauty .

Not a lot of grain trucks left in this good of condition .

I'm old and used to drive these rigs so I think save it but if you keep all the gingerbread on it you'll have a really sharp looking Hot Rod truck there .

Tx pilot likes this.
  3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Me, I'd resurrect it bone stock, these were slow but amazingly good work rigs .

Tx pilot likes this.
  4. Tx pilot

Tx pilot Member

I seriously was considering this path for months. Until yesterday when we had to take a spare good tire and remount it onto the split hub which took 2 hours with the assistance of a 50 year tire veteran, several sledge hammers and such.. They don't make these anymore from what I can tell and doesnt look like they can be acquired. Perhaps an axle swap so tubeless rims can be mounted?

5. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Replace those old 'Widow Maker' split rims with newer ones .

You might be able to sell or rent this truck for advertising .

6. Tx pilot

Tx pilot Member

HA. That's exactly what our tire veteran called them. We can see why. What he wasn't sure of was if there were rim's to be had with the pattern on the hubs. If so, where and what to look for...

vwnate1 likes this.
  7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

You really have to be there when one lets go to fully grasp the danger....

Yes, there are one piece rims as the bolt patterns are fairly standard .

Maybe Evan or Joe will know or have some for sale...

Tx pilot likes this.
  8. 52wasp

52wasp Member

She deserves better than a museum. Throw some (safe) wheels and tires on her, and get her on the road. Now, if you had a late-model flatbed truck hanging around, you could hang the vintage sheetmetal off of that chassis and "have it both ways".

I love a good hot rod, don't get me wrong. But had I "just" found a 235 (and maybe a 5-speed out of an 80's S10), and "fixed the rust", it wouldn't be 16 years since I heard her run...

vwnate1 likes this.
  9. coilover

coilover Member

It is a 1955 first series and had to be the bosses truck or someone that just loved it. The visor, stainless window and windshield trim, fog lights, grill guard, 5 window cab (useless with stake bed), and probably options we can't see like deluxe heater and turn signals; all of which are not common on a WORK vehicle. Worth preserving as is and this is from a street rod shop owner.

vwnate1 and 52wasp like this.
  10. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Thank you Evan ! .

He's asking over on Chevy Talk too......