1 Barrel Carb for 63 230 6 Banger

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by 3lawson, Dec 10, 2002.

1. 3lawson

3lawson Member

I have a 63 with a 230 six, It has approx 1500 miles on a total rebuild, I currently have a Auto Zone rebuilt 1 barrel rochester Carb on it with a manual choke, it ran O.K. for a couple of weeks, then started seeping and running rich, I can't find the receipt, so I can't take it back. What is the best carb for my application and should I go with the automatic choke or manual..Thanks..

2. Glen

Glen Member

RE: 1 Barrel Carb for 63 230

I've had the same problem. On my 4th rebuilt carb now. The first 3 were from O'reillys, this one from NAPA. Try cleaning the needle and seat with some Carb cleaner on a q-tip. If there is some dirt or varnish built up, the flow of gas won't shut off properly. And check your float level. Your service manual should show the proper height.
    Glen

3. kuseyd

kuseyd Member

RE: 1 Barrel Carb for 63 230

I've had the same problem on the same truck. I have a '64 with a freshly overhauled 230. The machinist who did my valve job told me that these old "splash dump" (his term) model B's should be upgraded to something like a Rochester MonoJet. I ordered one from the parts house just to look at it, and it's a bolt up, only 90 degrees out of line. All of the choke and throttle linkage will have to be modified, or I'll have to find/manufacture an adapter plate. All of this just to experiment with a different carburetor that may or may not work. Because of the expense and work, I'm still in the research phase of that little project. I'd love to hear from someone who is knowledgeable about this.