1600 miles through the desert

Discussion in '1960-1966' started by Jonnygogo, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Jonnygogo

Jonnygogo Member

I just drove the 63 C10 I bought in September from northern Washington State to Albuquerque NM. It took five days and the stock 292 just purred along (at 50 mph) with not one problem. I am blown away and very happy.

I do have one question: the 4 on the floor tranny clatters very briefly when going from 3rd to 4th, double clutching doesn't make much difference. Does the syncro wear out? 2nd to 3rd is smooth. What's it like to rebuild the SM 420 tranny? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. 654x4

654x4 Member

Sorry i cant answer your trans question. But the mountain view is nice, and that old chevy is awesome

3. powelldavid

powelldavid Member

The sm420 rebuild is straightforward and not complicated. With a rebuild kit and a press it can be done in a days time no problem.

4. 66 KUSTOM

66 KUSTOM Member

to bad you didnt know about this problem when you left washington, i live in salem oregon and have a sm420 for sale for $150, works very good and everthing is nice and tight still.

5. LEYLAND

LEYLAND Member

Time for another road trip!

6. gulffishin

gulffishin Member

Congratulations on your trip and your truck. These trucks are fun, but not so economical to drive; I bet you had to fill up 10 times on your 1600 mile trip LOL!:)

7. Jonnygogo

Jonnygogo Member

gas mileage and road trips

Near as I can figure I got 16 to 17 mpg which is better than I was expecting. I think I filled it about 7 - 8 times.

When I asked the guy I bought it from if the truck had seatbelts he assured me that it did. Well, he wasn't lying but they were lap and shoulder combination belts and weren't attached: just sitting in a heap in the bed of the truck. So somehow I am not surprised that he didn't tell me that fourth gear was worn.

I would definitely might have picked up that SM420 tranny from CUSTOM66 on the way home. Thanks for the offer. Thanks for looking. JL