168 teeth verses 139 teeth on 235 chevy starters

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by skiter1961, Sep 3, 2010.

1. skiter1961

skiter1961 Member

The 235 six volt system has 139 teeth for the flywheel and 168 for 12 volt but do the different starters have the same number of teeth or are they different and if so what are the number of teeth on them any help on this matter would be great thanks

2. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Teeth starters

Hey and welcome

When i swapped my 216 engine to a 235 engine i whas told that i could use the 216 flywheel+ mounting plate where the starter must be placed. The starter should be the same at least if it is a 12 volt system.

I have to check out the numbers and number of teeth. I `ll come back to you.

Martinius.

3. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

6 & 12 Volt Starters

As it turns out , you can run the 6 volt starter on 12 volts almost forever as they're well made .

If you change the flywheel , you'l also have to change the starter as the pinion gears are different and GM decided to change the shaft's size so you ca't just slip a 6 volt drive pinion onto a cheap 12 volt starter :mad: .

I have been told there is an IHC pinion that'll work this way but I know not what year , model etc. .

My buddy put a 12 volt starter into his old '54 Sedan , it had the original 6 volt flywheel and made a terrible racket , I said !STOP!:eek: he said no worries and ran it like that until he got the correct , old starter re-built .
    The engine always started fine this way but sounded like it'd rip all the ring gear's teeth off .

federale likes this.
  4. Blueflame236

Blueflame236 Member

Teeth

About the flywheel you are correct in case of numbers.
    As Nate says if it is 6 or 12 volts it does`nt matter.
    The old style Remy Delco 235 12 v.starter has 9 teeth.

Hope this is of any help.

5. wokri

wokri Member

Starter 6V

Hi skiter1961,
    I had changed the 6V system to 12V. I use the 6V starter. It turn very good and fast. It will work. But you shouldn't let start to long because the starter could burn up.
    Wolfgang

6. skiter1961

skiter1961 Member

thanks for all the help

But now I have another question I have a 139 tooth and a 9 tooth rebuilt 6 volt starter and it is ok but do i need to upgrade the selenoid to 12 volt becuse I am under the understanding it is less forgiving to the increase in voltage than the starter motor windings thanks again for all your comments and help

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  7. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

12 Volt Starter , 6 Volt Solenoid

The reason you want to put a 12 volt solenoid on is to prevent the 6V solenoid from " slamming " the Bendix into the flywheel & thereby damaging the ring gear's teeth .

Sadly , I don't know the correct P/N , if you can find a " Buyer's Guide " @ your FLAPS , it'll have pictures and you should be able to match it up .

Or , maybe ask your local Automotive Rebuilder but they often don't understand this mixing and matching .

8. birdman

birdman Member

Does anyone know for sure if the replacement 168 teeth ring gear will fit exactly on the 139 tooth flywheel? I have a 54 235 6 cyl. (6volt) pickup which I converted to 12volt years ago. The 139 ring gear is wasted. The original 9tooth 6volt starter is still OK as is the drive gear. As mentioned above the 6 volt starter has worked fine but I would be alright with getting a 12volt starter to match the 168 tooth ring gear. ! This truck has the foot pedal starter, not a solenoid but I could change to solenoid.

Russ

9. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

I don't but whomever is making new ring gears , find that out and ask them .

-OR- , get two old flywheels one of each , heat and remove both ring gears and measure the bare flywheel.....

10. birdman

birdman Member

OK---purchased a 168 tooth ring gear from LMC Truck---That was all they had. Cut the 139 ring gear off. (It's shot)---The 168 ring gear does NOT fit the 139 6volt Flywheel. 1/8" plus diameter more. So now I guess the best solution would be to find a good used 168 flywheel since I now have the new 168 ring gear.---OR just a good used 139 flywheel --OR better yet a new 139 ring gear which no one seems to have anymore (?) LMC said they would take their ring gear back
    Russ

11. Deve

Deve Member