1947 Header Help

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by rereaves, Apr 9, 2011.

1. rereaves

rereaves Member

Hi Folks, I need you help once again. My 47 sets on a S-10 Chassis with 305 small block engine. The current 305 has stock exhaust manifold and the clearance around the manifold is tight. I'm in the process of installing a new 350 crate motor and would like to use headers. I know the header needs to dump at the rear of the engine vs the center. If anyone has installed headers on this set-up, I would sure like to know which headers works the best.

Thanks
    Ron

2. federale

federale Member

Without doing any real research myself, you might check into headers for a V8 Monza. Hope this leads you to a solution.

John

3. ol' chebby

ol' chebby Member

Several companies make a header for n s10 v8 conversion. I think summit has a set.

4. coilover

coilover Member

carshopinc is where we have bought several from. They specialize in S10 conversion parts.

5. rereaves

rereaves Member

Header Help

Thanks for your help. I just looked up Carshopinc on the net and found the headers you folks were talking about. Should I assume if this header will work on an S-10 small block conversion that it will work on my application which is a 47 on a 94 S-10 frame with a small block? I hope these headers are available with ceramic coating. I will give them a call on Monday.

Again, thanks to all you folks for your help. I'm in the process of installing a new crate motor and would like to mount the engine with headers installed if possible.

Ron

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Exhaust Routing

FWIW ;

We stuffed a big V-6 (? 4.3L ?) into a Nash Metropolitan and didn't want to cut the body so we took rear dump headers & swapped them right for left , this resulted in a front exhaust crossover up high , sort of like the old Brand 'F' Y Block V-8 ~ it worked out very well in the end .

Just a thought .

7. rereaves

rereaves Member

Thanks Nate, sounds like a different approach. The clearance between the engine heads and the steering shaft is going to make this interesting, also very tight to the motor mounts on both sides. Guess I could always use my current exhaust manifold on the new engine, sure hate to do that.

Thanks
    Ron

8. coilover

coilover Member

This is the clearance between a V8 (small block) and the steering shaft with an AD on the S10 chassis and with the shortened factory column. You can move the steering to the left by cutting the column just below the dash and offsetting with Borgeson joints. This is what we did with a very skinny nosed 37 with a 427 big block.

Attached Files:

9. rereaves

rereaves Member

Header Help

Thanks Evan for the pictures they always help. I hope to avoid making this modification with my small block but if necessary I now have the fix.

Ron