1948 suburban rear end install

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Alfons zak, Mar 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Alfons zak

Alfons zak Member

Any help from you guys I have a 1948 burb putting in a Lincoln rear with disc brakes anyone done anything like this with advice

2. coilover

coilover Member

We have put a couple into AD's; a 52 Suburban and a 49 GMC pickup. Russ (known as ol chebby) has one in his AD pickup and is a thousand times as good as me at taking pictures and adding descriptions. I dug up a few shots of the cross members we used to mount the Lincoln IRS. These are for one with coil springs and the other had the air bags. The alignment shops can't get the correct camber until the upper control arm is moved (contact Russ) but they make a great riding/handling set up. We used the factory gas tank with a "step" notched out of one end to clear the cross member. Only lose one gallon.

Attached Files:

3. 50 Chevy LS3

50 Chevy LS3 Member

Check out Coach529's 1949 3600, Daily driver thread... He's doing one right now...

Steve.

4. coilover

coilover Member

Also check out Factory Five Cobra IRS. Pictures and info. They make up tubing cages that are very sanitary looking.

5. john1

john1 Member

Are you talking a Lincoln irs or a standard axle like a 9" with discs from a Versailles or similar. If the irs follow Coaches build, if it's a 9" you've got lot's of choices. Parallel leaf springs, a 3 or 4 link with a panhard bar and coil springs with separate shocks or coil overs, a triangulated 4 link with either type of coils which eliminates the need for a panhard bar, or the nascar style long lower control arms with a panhard and coils which was based on mid 60's Chevy rear truck suspensions. That's what comes to mind quickly.
    On my truck a 50 Chevy, I ran 79 Camaro leaves for several years with a 9" worked well but had a little chop over bumps. Changed to a fabricated 3 link with 150# coils separate shocks and a panhard, it handles bumps a little better. Currently am seriously considering a T-bird Lincoln irs swap since my truck doesn't do much truck stuff anymore and I'm more interested in ride and handling. Leaf springs are the easiest, everything else requires a little more fabrication. John

6. coilover

coilover Member

Didn't even think about it maybe being a Versailles. Other than trimming off all the factory mounting brackets and making some perches it's a straight up swap. The Versailles has a Rube Golburg E-brake set up so if you come up with something that looks and works good let us know. If you are interested in a finished chassis that has a Mark VIII irs and a Pacer front let me know. A customer has one from under a Suburban that was in a shop fire. Didn't hurt the chassis but smoked everything from the frame up.