1949 1/2 ton rear brakes

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by psy999, Mar 26, 2006.

1. psy999

psy999 Member

I installed new parking brake lines and new rear brake shoes on a 1949 1/2 ton chevy (see link). Brakes are Hucks. I've retracted the shoes as much as possible but the hub still binds when I try to install it over the shoes (pic was taken before I retracted shoes). Suggestions?

Thanks
    http://pic1.picturetrail.com/VOL1140/4216428/9550254/135564259.jpg

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

RE: Huck Brake Service

The brake shoes are _NOT_ retracted whatsoever , I can see the threaded adjusters fully extended ~ screw them back in and the drums should slip right on .

Remember to adjust the shoes before adjusting the parking brake cables .

The shoes will typically need several re-adjustments as they bed in , making 20 ~ 30 full stops from 35 MPH will also help bed the shoes in for longer service life ~ this is a tedious thing to do but it pays BIG dividends in years to come .

Who has the new Huck brake springs ? .

-Nate

3. Keystoner

Keystoner Member

RE: Huck Brake Springs

Nate,

The - truckandcarshop.com - has new Huck return springs and many other parts and good prices too. The springs are $2.00ea.

Check out their website and order a free catalog.

Tom

4. psy999

psy999 Member

RE: Huck Brake Service

Sorry for the misleading picture Nate, it was meant to show the type of brakes and was taken before I screwed the threaded adjusters in.

I have the adjusters screwed in so far that now when I screw either side of the cylinder it pushes the other side off. I was screwing both sides in evenly, but today when I looked at the other rear wheel (as yet untouched), I noticed the adjusters weren't even, one side was screwed in much more than the other. I guess that will be the next thing I try, as when the adjusters are screwed in evenly I can tell that one brake shoe is higher or out more than the other.

I got my springs, brake shoes, all the parking brake parts from Jim C....r about 2 weeks ago.