1949 Chevy Truck Doors

Discussion in '1947-1954' started by Kingfish1, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Kingfish1

Kingfish1 Member

Looking a pair of rust free 1947 - 1949 Chevy Truck doors, especially the hem flanges be rust free. Please respond if so with pictures.

Thanks,

2. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Parts Request

Mentioning where you are , helps generate more and better responses....

I held onto my spare '49 doors for years & years before giving them away to a Custom Body Man who cut them up for the " Just So " rust free original sheet metal in them....

IIRC the doors you want are the same from 1947 ~ 1950.......

They're out there on old farm trucks that never went near salty roads....

3. Kingfish1

Kingfish1 Member

1949 Chevy Doors Still Looking For Originals??

My location is in Michigan. I have been looking got a hold of a pair I was told they were in great shape and come to find out the passenger side was good but drivers side not worth it at all. The new production doors look great from a distance but close up fit terrible.
    If you know of someone on the farm or who wants to sell a part of history to my project this would be great. I currently have a 5 window 1949 3600, 8ft box and its half way completed. These trucks are becoming invisible because the scrap yards are scooping them up for those that are left....
    If anyone out there has a lead please pass it on. Nothing runs like an old Chevy truck....

4. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

I have a pile of nice rust free Arizona desert doors but, shipping is a big problem on them.

5. Kingfish1

Kingfish1 Member

Rust Free Doors For a 49 Chevy Pickup

If you have some nice rust free doors can you send me some photos. Where is the location? Last person who told me they had rust free doors it was a joke. If your serious let me know I dont want to waste my time searching all over the 50 states.

Thanks, reply with photos and lets see the hem flanges and front and back.

6. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Vendors

Although Joe and I argue about things here , he's an honest seller and I've been very happy with the parts he's sold me over the years .

If he says ' rust free ' he means it ~ no holes along the lower pinchwelds etc.

Of course , some surface rust may be encountered on any 50 + year old desert sheet metal .

Using greyhound saves a lot on shipping of big items but the boxing is expensive .

7. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

We don't have room to store rusty doors..we only save the cream of the crop from the dry desert of Arizona.

Before we take the time to dig out a pair of doors & send detailed pictures.... you will need to send us a PM regarding shipping & crating costs first.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  8. vwnate1

vwnate1 Member

Used Doors

See ? there ARE good doors out there ~ be aware that the visible holes from old mirrors are not an acceptable excuse to whine later on ~ any of those doors shown , are 50 + years old but better than anything new you can buy .

The fitment wasn't very good when your truck was new as GM sold every truck they could produce before it was ordered so gaps may not be to your liking , this doesn't mean it's a bad door - some look perfect but don't close well , others close perfectly but have less than perfect gaps .

Buy from Joe with confidence .

9. Kingfish1

Kingfish1 Member

What state are these doors in? Surface rust not worried about, swelling under hem flanges are issues because if you have ever done body work the hem flanges have to be cut out, you know its like cancer. All this has to be addressed. When someone tells me "Rust Free I am expecting the hems and insides to be clean. Before I comment I need a drivers side door only and i need to see a good one. Let me know if you can find one and send me pictures with a price. Need to know state so I can determine shipping costs. Vegas was around $165.00 dollars Fedex Freight.

I don't have time to play around last time as stated before guy showed me a pile of doors like this and ended up being a joke. So if you can show me your best drivers side door and let me see it.

Thanks,
    The Kingfish1

10. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

We stored the nice doors upside down so they won't collect water & crud & rust in the bottoms.

11. cantdrivemall

cantdrivemall Member

Doors and parts

I have a nice collection of rust-crud free doors that i salvaged from a northern calif truck salvage yard, along with alots of other good pieces.
    It seem that Mr. MotherTrucker, or Mr. DeadzoneTruckin has some identity problems with people that have had the same business name for 35 to 40 years. I see no copyright mark on the nick-name. Ive had it for since 1972,
    and now this buffoon comes along and acts like im stealing his sprinklers from his front yard.
    He says hes "watching me". I only like it when girls watch me. I dont like guys watching me.
    Please mr. DZT keep that "guy watching" to yourself.
    Anyway, I have nice doors, some fenders, and Reproduction accessories for sale.
    Please contact me for 35% discount through January on all trims and rubber parts.

12. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

Wow :eek: 35% off on cheapo Chinese rubber parts that dry up & turn to dust in 6 months &........ 35% off on cheesy cheapo Chinese reproduction "Trim" parts that don't fit.

Looks like you are pretty effen desperate to dump all your crap parts around here that no one wants.

No one around here is interested... but I am sure you will have great luck selling all your crappy new reproduction parts to all the idiots who don't know any better over on the Stovebolt Page.:D....

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  13. bigtimjamestown

bigtimjamestown Member

I thought rust free meant no charge for the rust....lol...Just a little humor to break up the arguing...:D

14. Kingfish1

Kingfish1 Member

Wow did not think I would have created so much buzz in the air over some 62 year old pieces of metal. "Can't we all just get along", One thing I am not interested in is reproduction doors. However, Mr. Empire if you have original doors can you share the pictures on line with the attachment. Rust free to me is hem flanges are clean, I can deal with surface rust and some digs and dents, however, do not want to waste time on rusted hem flanges. Been there done that...
    Appreciate the response. All I want to do is complete my 1949 Chevy project so I can win Autorama...... Then you guys can argue over my truck LOL.....Have good day....

15. DeadZoneTruckin

DeadZoneTruckin Member

Don't hold your breath waiting for pictures of the doors from Empire :D